Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lost lug nut key, what do I do?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost lug nut key, what do I do?

Went to rotate my tires, and the lug nut key was gone from console. I do very low milage each year, so the last rotation was 5500 miles ago, which was almost a year ago. I have no idea how it could disappear from my console, but it did. I blame the kids. So now what? How do I remove the lugs that need the key? Im fine with replacing them with regular lugs if I destroy them in the removal.

Thanks for the advise!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what brand the locking lug nuts are? If they are the Mopar ones, call the dealership and they should be able to order you a key. If they are aftermarket, like Gorilla brand, you should have got a sticker that has your key # and a number to call to order the replacement key.

But if you take it in to just about any tire shop, they generally have about all the keys out there and should be able to take them off. It is pretty common in their business. Worst case a tire shop can probably break the lugs, but then you might need new studs as well as replacement lug nuts.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

You can try tightening the other lug nuts as far as they will go and that my allow you to use a pair of grips to remove the locking lug nuts.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good idea Ade. Otherwise like corupt said, tire shops have a ton of keys or can remove them easily at a relatively cheap cost. I paid $40 to have some removed on my old Tacoma at local tire store
Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ade
You can try tightening the other lug nuts as far as they will go and that my allow you to use a pair of grips to remove the locking lug nuts.
I would not do this and risk breaking a lug. If it was an emergency maybe but not when he can drive to a tire store.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have used an old socket and pounded it over the keyed lug and backed them right off the above poster is correct though most tire shops have 95 percent of the keys for them
Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. Ill make an appointment. Gonna be way over on this rotation.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

depending on the locking lug nut design sometimes you can actually use a socket. can you post a photo of the lug style?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on the style. Auto zone sells a reverse socket to remove them.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k0260
Good idea Ade. Otherwise like corupt said, tire shops have a ton of keys or can remove them easily at a relatively cheap cost. I paid $40 to have some removed on my old Tacoma at local tire store
Great advice!
Or you can pound a larger socket on it and with time and patience you can get them removed...

Quick Reply: Lost lug nut key, what do I do?