Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lost my left nut

Old 11-22-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my left nut

Recently in another thread I mentioned that when I took my front sport bars off when I lowered my windshield this summer that whatever captures the threads of the bolt under the sound bar on the driver's side broke off, a spring () came out the bolt hole, and that I was on my way to the dealer for other service and would have it looked at.

Dealer's official response: I stripped the threads when I removed the bolt and the 'spring' I claimed to have seem was actually the threads I stripped out of the nut. Uh WHAT?

Further, the service manager suggested that I do not lower the windshield as (and I quote) "It's not really designed to go down" WTF? I informed him I had followed the instructions in the manual exactly. I informed him I had also followed the instructions in the manual on how to operate the doors, and asked if maybe I shouldn't operate THEM they way they were designed. The only response I got was from the others in the service area who chuckled - the service manager had no response.

Their 'solution' was to tap the sheet metal in the B pillar and to install a larger bolt, with further instruction to not remove it ever again. The squeak caused by body flex is now gone but I really do not like they way they sort of handled this.

Anyway - I'm in the process of writing a letter to Jeep/Chrysler to let them know of my experience. Not sure that will prove anything but it might keep me from popping the dude.

Anyone know anything about the type of fastener in this location? Whatever used to be behind there dropped down inside the body so I can't get it. Anyone have a service mnual that might show what is behind there that might be spring-like?

Thanks!

Jamie
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsokitsgot4wd
good luck with that, but I may word your gripe differently when you contact DC since telling them you lost your left nut may illicit a response from them saying "Well at least you still have the right one"
Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gaidheal

Dealer's official response: I stripped the threads when I removed the bolt...

I have never ever heard of anyone claiming to strip threads while removing a bolt/nut. I don't think that's even possible. If they give you any flack, as them if it " isn't more likely that the bolt was cross-threaded when it was installed at the factory?"
Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

The spring like thing you described sounds like a helicoil. If so it can be replaced. I have never seen threads striped out like you are talking about.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tls001
The spring like thing you described sounds like a helicoil. If so it can be replaced. I have never seen threads striped out like you are talking about.

Yes and no, however I have seen stripped threads get pulled out like a 'spring' when it gets removed...

Quick Reply: Lost my left nut