Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Low Idle???

Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran a can of seafoam through my tank and problem still isn't solved. I really don't wanna go to the dealership
Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Let us know what the issue was
Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone got a solution for this yet? Or at least know what the problem is?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 07 and and 08... same thing happens on each of them. Did since I got them - very infrequent, right? Usually after it warms up and you stop at a stoplight or stop sign? Does not seem to correlate with heat/dampness (happens in summer/winter rain/shine).

I don't have an answer, but I think "cheap gas" (like there is any cheap gas now) clogging up your injectors would cause it to happen more often than it does. We see it maybe once every couple months.

edit: the more I think about it... once every couple months seems more frequent than I actually see it.

Last edited by sladekos; 06-09-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Stinger
Anyone got a solution for this yet? Or at least know what the problem is?
There are several reasons for low idling.

possible issues include:
dirty throttle body
bad MAP
vacuum leak
throttle position sensor or other sensors

check for a code, if none, try cleaning the TB. Maybe look at the plugs if it is getting time for replacing them (wires, too).
Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

2008 2DR Auto and same problem.
I'll be sitting at a stop light/sign and be able to let off the brake b/c it's idling so low. It will occassionally try to die. Dealer found now trouble codes and suggested I run some fuel system cleaner. I'm on that tank now. We'll see...
Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cajunaviator
My 07 with an auto trans does the same thing. I need to bring it in for the timing cover issue, my water pump is leaking and the fuel tank issue. Glad I have lifetime powertrain warranty.
I think I need to stop reading this forum.

A few weeks ago someone posted a thread about bad / leaking water pumps on JK's. I went out to the garage and found mine was leaking. Stealership just replaced water pump last Tuesday under warranty.

Now I read this thread about a "shudder" and rough idle with rpms dropping below 600. Just started noticing my 2008 automatic doing the same darn thing. Seems to only happen when in gear like at a red light or in reverse sitting in my driveway.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I stopped buying shitty gas and haven't had it do it lately. They need to stop putting ethanol in our gas
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by damunoz32
I'm running an auto

I'm also having an issue where sometimes I'll turn the key all the way to ignition and engine just clicks. Lights work so I doubt its a battery issue. I usually have to turn the key 4 times or so for it to finally catch. Any ideas? (No intentions of hijacking)
There was a posting related to this issues. The problem was faulty/lack of ground connections. In some cases an extra grounding was used and the problem was fix.

Last edited by Tuto; 08-03-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default try this

I had the same problem on an 08 automatic, almost like the ac kicked on and dragged the idle way down, except it would happen whether the ac was on or not. It seemed to come and go, somedays it would happen 2-3 times, somedays not at all.... Then I started having the clicking starter problem.

Here's what I have done...

Idle issue:

Changed out the spark plugs to the bosch four point plugs. This did help, and truthfully if I had had these plugs to start with I probably would't have noticed the idle issue, it would still happen every once in a while but it was much smoother. Then I added the ground wire (8 ga) to the alternator bracket like I read here in the forum somewhere...this helped a little as well probably decreased the occurance to once a month. And again barely noticeable. More on this below....

starting issue:

About a year after buying my jeep the battery crapped out (so I thought) it sounded like I was bumping the starter, it would jump start and that was it. Replaced the battery with a red top, and the problem went away for a couple of months then returned. So i started checking connections, the starter has a clip on terminal that was really corroded. I cut a small piece of emery cloth and ran it in and out of the connector, plugged it back in and it worked until last week. The connector was again corroded inside, the post appeared clean. The only thing I have done differently this time is run the 4ga wire to the side of the block (motor mount) and to the bell housing behind the oil pan on the bottom (thanks forum). Right away I noticed everything works better the dash lights are brighter, the engine runs smoother, the courtesy light is brighter (wife noticed that without knowledge of the fix) I think this has been the issue all along! I also recleaned the starter connector (it was dirty again) and filled the connector with dielectric grease this time. Be careful with the connector as it does have a "release button" on the side. I have also replaced the battery terminals with brass connectors, the factory ones make very little contact with the post. Pull one off and look at the shiney spots, very little contact. So far (2 weeks) no starter issue and no idle issue....I will post again if the issue returns.

Quick Reply: Low Idle???