Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LSD rear?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD rear?

For the X and Sahara there is an LSD (limited slip diff) option.

Is this a gear driven LSD, similar to a detroit trutrac?
Or does it use clutch packs?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutches. Don't waste your money. The brake-lock differential system does just fine without the LSD.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree and disagree.

The electronic brake lock disables when you're in 4L. I had guys watching me wheel up a steep rock in which I was slipping at first, then they could see the LSD kick in, and I went right up.

Also, I have some sandy hill climbs where the brake lock applies the brakes to the spinning wheels and ultimately bogged me down to a stop. I tried it again w/ the brake lock disabled and made it up the same hill easily.

However, I do wish I just had the open diffs that I could add lockers to. I watched a mostly stock TJ Rubi eat up some very tough obstacles.

If you think you want lockers, do not get the LSD.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will be going with a locker - might just get a rubi.
I am just interested in what they are using for LSD.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JK

I have a TJ Rubicon; which included a rear limited slip, that is also a locker.

I heard the JK is a 'on / off' with no limited slip...

I guess the braking system ESP what not replaced the need for this...

When you go to change out a LSD to a after market gear locker, the LSD uses a different carrier, which you have to replace.

If you want a locker after market, it is cheaper all around to get an open diff from the factory.

And if you want an after market locker, you really want a Rubicon.

so just buy the damn thing!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Renegade says, the LSD (trac-loc) uses clutch packs.

I went with an open diff (no LSD), but would have gone with tru-loc if it had been available at the time. The tru-loc is the electronic locker that comes with the Rubicon, but is only available for the rear axle on X and Sahara models. I plan on adding an aftermarket locker someday....

Also, FYI, the electronic limited slip function of the ESP (which is built in to every JK) does not turn off. It is always on, even when ESP is in "Off" mode. "Off" mode is automatically engaged in 4-lo and can be engaged in 4-high by holding the "ESP Off" button for 5 seconds while stopped with the engine running. According to the manual, all ESP and TCS functions are turned off in this mode except electronic limited slip.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I just don't get why I bog down during hill climbs when I do not press the ESP button, and when I do turn it off I do not bog down.
It feels like the brakes are kicking in.....or maybe its the engine cutting the fuel...I may have just answered that my self.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shredX
I just don't get why I bog down during hill climbs when I do not press the ESP button, and when I do turn it off I do not bog down.
It feels like the brakes are kicking in.....or maybe its the engine cutting the fuel...I may have just answered that my self.

You answered it. The brkes are applied for that particular tire to prevent a rollover. I know it's poor wording, but maybe you get what I mean.

Quick Reply: LSD rear?