Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

LT Tires

Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Tires

I'm looking for advice regarding light truck tires. I currently have a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers - Load Range E. The tires have roughly 40,000 miles on them and the Jeep rides like a log wagon. I like the looks of an LT Tire but I'm wanting a smoother/softer ride. I've researched the Toyo Country AT II Tires and they have two options in a 275/65/18. One is an LT Tire Load Range C and the other is a P Metric Standard Load tire. My dilemma is do I go with the P Metric (4 ply rated tire) for a softer ride or do I take a chance and go with the LT Tire Load Range C (which is the equivalent of a 6 play rated tire) versus my current Load Range E tires (the equivalent of 10 ply rated)????
Old 04-04-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

E load is too much for most Jeeps. I think you'll be happy with the c load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Corb
I'm looking for advice regarding light truck tires. I currently have a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers - Load Range E. The tires have roughly 40,000 miles on them and the Jeep rides like a log wagon. I like the looks of an LT Tire but I'm wanting a smoother/softer ride. I've researched the Toyo Country AT II Tires and they have two options in a 275/65/18. One is an LT Tire Load Range C and the other is a P Metric Standard Load tire. My dilemma is do I go with the P Metric (4 ply rated tire) for a softer ride or do I take a chance and go with the LT Tire Load Range C (which is the equivalent of a 6 play rated tire) versus my current Load Range E tires (the equivalent of 10 ply rated)????

What psi were you running in your load range E's?

You could probably run about 25 psi and use the chalk test and they would ride much better. I would probably go with the range C over the p metric.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

18" wheels with a small diameter E load should ride rough. I would go with a C rated tire in a 16" or 17" wheel to gain a bit more sidewall for extra comfort. You could even do some 15" wheels and will find more choices in a C rated tire in the 15" size for a much better price.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

C will definitely ride softer, but also think about your purpose. If you don't wheel much, that should be fine, but if you do, especially in rocky terrain, they're more susceptible to damage. I've been running load range D Goodyear Duratracs between 28-30psi on my Jeep and the ride is pretty good.

If the Jeep is road going only, only then would I consider a P (passenger car) tire for ride comfort and better fuel mileage. But, in my experience, they're just too soft and weak for anything else.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

I was riding with 32lbs pressure in each tire. Still very rough. I do mostly hwy driving except for during duck season. I know it would probably be better to have 17 inch wheels for more sidewall and less weight, but I have a lot of money invested in these KMC Rockstars.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by onlyone
What psi were you running in your load range E's? You could probably run about 25 psi and use the chalk test and they would ride much better. I would probably go with the range C over the p metric.

How do you keep the TPMS from telling you to air up the tires ?

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Corb
How do you keep the TPMS from telling you to air up the tires ?
With this. http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/procal-module I'm still dealing with the light until I get mine. It goes away after hitting the menu button.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are easy on your tires, the c load range is fine, DO NOT go back to a p metric tire. I blew three of my goodyear SR-A in the first week. They are made for civics not trucks or suv's. I had the same issue on my patriot, SR-A p metrics blew regularly. I went through 5 on that quickly before replaceing them with a lightweight LT tire.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

C rated tires are fine for wheeling, its bs that they don't hold up to hard wheeling.

Quick Reply: LT Tires