Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Metal in the Oil Pan - Replace 3.6 or Fix

Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metal in the Oil Pan - Replace 3.6 or Fix

Hoping to get some advice here. Bought a 2012 JKU 2 years ago with high miles 132K. In those 2 years I have only driven 4K miles. A few months ago I kept getting the P06DD Oil Pressure check engine error code so I took it in to get looked at assuming the sensor, oil pump or filter housing would need some attention. The local shop told me when they dropped the oil pan there was a lot of metal in the pan. I did have a warranty on it but the company has declined the claim because of the 4" lift and 35" tires (separate story).

Local shop is telling me I should pay the $7K and put in a Jasper but I just don't have that right now as I hit some hard times. Junk yard drop in's are really expensive too.

Any thoughts or options you guys know of I would appreciate. I have invested way too much into this thing to scrap and move on.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just out of curiosity, did you see the metal for yourself or is it just that they told you this? Basically is the shop trustworthy? And ya the warrantys love blaming everything on the lift and tires.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default P06dd

I have not been to the shop since they told me this last Friday morning, just trying to get an early jump on things. They did tell me they put the oil pan back on so they could move it around and not leave it outside during the night. The original shop is trustworthy and has a good reputation. They just expanded and opened in a new shop by my house so that is an unknown.

The reality is that I knew I would be here eventually but wanted to get through the Summer and make this a Winter project and do a 5.7Hemi swap or something fun.

So I think my plan is to limp through the Summer with the P06DD (DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW ) stuck on. This is not a new issue and happened almost after I got the Jeep. Dealership told me that top issues are filter (use Mopar only which I do) then maybe the oil pump (certain o-ring can come loose inside) or it is actually the sensor in the sending unit which is attached to the filter housing. I will consider maybe adding an external oil pressure guage since I do not have one and use a good oil additive.

Super Bummed =(

Any idea on how I can get rid of this code? If I clear it, comes back a day later.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Other then fix it no i personally dont. My sensor has failed and i have been cruising around for a while out of procrastination to fix it lol. Good thing about a hemi swap is you can keep your stock tranny
Old 05-29-2019, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Get a LS if your planning on keeping it.
Contact John:
https://overlandperformance.com/
Old 05-29-2019, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
Other then fix it no i personally dont. My sensor has failed and i have been cruising around for a while out of procrastination to fix it lol. Good thing about a hemi swap is you can keep your stock tranny
Are you getting the same Check Engine code P06DD?
Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midnight2012
Are you getting the same Check Engine code P06DD?
When i go to lunch in about an hour ill scan it and give ya the codes, i think i have like 4 total right now but it started with the sensor failing as when they first came on thats what the code read (cant remember the code number). but the sensor has failed and caused the other codes to go off now, been driving for about 2 weeks with no issue and this is my DD
Old 05-29-2019, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry got busy at work, but currently im running with the codes, P0520, P0522, and P06DE
Old 06-03-2019, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Agreed your is probably the sensor itself. There are a few videos out there that show how to replace this. Not an easy job but doable.

Mine is something maybe a little more complex. Everything I read and watched such as this Link indicates it is either the oil pump or an o-ring that causes bubbles in the oil or a false pressure reading high or low. The tech says he looked at the o-ring and it was in place and not the issue. The MIL info says take a hard look at the oil squirters. With the comments from the tech the oil is and has metal in it, is it possible these squirters are plugged thus providing a higher reading at certain times when the sensor signal is being transmitted to the ECM?

Quick Reply: Metal in the Oil Pan - Replace 3.6 or Fix