Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Miles Per Gallon

Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miles Per Gallon

Hey everyone,

As you all know gas has been a major issue in the states for a few months now so I've been using my cruise control almost 90% of time I'm driving on-road. The truck started out with about 14-15mpg on average. Lately, I've gotten it up to 17.8. Do you think something is wrong with my sensor or am I really getting 17.8? I mean it drops when I'm not using cruise and it fluctuates down and back up but I'm a little skeptical about the Jeep getting that good of gas mileage without any engine mods.

I simply keep all the windows shut and put my A/C on the first blower level with it all the way to the blue cold side. When traffic is light, I even use cruise off highway.

What do you guys think?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you not calculate it yourself to see if it right? I only seen 18mpg on our trilp to Ca. Norm get 14-15 but the lead foot does't help.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 AM
JK Jedi

It's well documented that the dash read out is usually off a little (seems 1-2mpg high), do the hand calc and track it for several tanks (while noting your driving variables) and you'll have a more accurate picture of your mileage. It is simple. Zero your trip upon fill-up, drive as needed, upon next fill up note your trip mileage and divide by the exact number of gallons of fuel it takes to fill the Jeep back up. I've been seeing 18-19mpg like this all summer with the top off, with the top on I was seeing 20-21.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=pearl-drum-man;654690 I've been seeing 18-19mpg like this all summer with the top off, with the top on I was seeing 20-21.[/QUOTE]

That's about what I'm seeing for mileage
Old 08-25-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
It's well documented that the dash read out is usually off a little (seems 1-2mpg high), do the hand calc and track it for several tanks (while noting your driving variables) and you'll have a more accurate picture of your mileage. It is simple. Zero your trip upon fill-up, drive as needed, upon next fill up note your trip mileage and divide by the exact number of gallons of fuel it takes to fill the Jeep back up. I've been seeing 18-19mpg like this all summer with the top off, with the top on I was seeing 20-21.
Same here.

I don't have cruise on my JK, but in other cars that I have owned I didn't see any improvement in MPG by using the cruise control over just conservative driving. In fact, I've had my mileage go down using the cruise.

I believe that happens because the CC will try to keep the car at the same speed by giving it more throttle as opposed to my letting the car slow down a bit when going up hills.

I really try to keep my RPMs at 2000 or less. Easy starts and staying out of passing gear is a big help.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by berg
I believe that happens because the CC will try to keep the car at the same speed by giving it more throttle as opposed to my letting the car slow down a bit when going up hills.
Please never drive on the interstate here. Slowing down a bit invariably means upwards of 10mph. If I'm behind you and using cruise, I have to keep turning it off. Plus, most people who slow down going up hills speed up going down them, so even if I'm on a 4-lane, I'll pass them going up on cruise, they'll pass me going down.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Please never drive on the interstate here. Slowing down a bit invariably means upwards of 10mph. If I'm behind you and using cruise, I have to keep turning it off. Plus, most people who slow down going up hills speed up going down them, so even if I'm on a 4-lane, I'll pass them going up on cruise, they'll pass me going down.
I've driven NC interstates many, many times. I'm originally from Spencer.

Haven't you ever noticed that when you get to a certain speed you can maintain that speed for a time when you back off of the go petal just slightly?

I'm not talking about slowing down 10 MPH. I don't want a tractor trailer rammed up my ass.

I mean I just hold the throttle steady with a 2-3 miles per hour drop in speed. And I stay in the granny lane when I'm doing it. Hell, heavy trucks lose more than that on the long grades found on the interstates. In reality thats what trucks do in the granny lane all of the time; slow down going up, speed up going down.

Cruise control tries to compensate for that drop. Sometimes to the point of downshifting. That will definitely decrease your MPG.

And better MPG is the whole point of this thread, isn't it?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since i've hit 7000 miles i've been getting better mileage.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

After braking in my engine around 3000-5000 miles my milage inproved 17.8 is very acheivable. Especially if you have no lift or tires on it. I am getting 17 right now w/3" lift and 34" tires. I aslo have cai and hypertech though
Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was getting 16.9 right from the dealer. Then I changed to amsoil at about 3,000 and have been getting 19-20mpg's.

Quick Reply: Miles Per Gallon