Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

minor rattling from shifter console area-6 speed

Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default minor rattling from shifter console area-6 speed

So I noticed today that the shifter seems to make a rattle noise that sounds like its both cming from inside the console area where the internal shifting assembly is as well as it sounds like the knob itself rattles a little like the plastic is loose. anyone else notice these noises. I just had the tranny replaced at 1400 miles due to first gear pop out
Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by justinp.
So I noticed today that the shifter seems to make a rattle noise that sounds like its both cming from inside the console area where the internal shifting assembly is as well as it sounds like the knob itself rattles a little like the plastic is loose. anyone else notice these noises. I just had the tranny replaced at 1400 miles due to first gear pop out
First off, I cant believe they replaced your tranny because it popped out of first, lots of ppl with the same complaint and they usually get laughed at by dealers. Secondly I get a rattle from my shifter too, on mine its the clear plastic piece on the top of the shifter, it let go a little bit (crappy adhesive?) but when I push down on it slightly the rattle goes away.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take that whole 3 peice plastic assembly out and bolt that bad boy together.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by coastie kyle
Take that whole 3 peice plastic assembly out and bolt that bad boy together.
by three piece plastic assembly im assuming you mean the shift knob. how would i go about bolting it together?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 AM
JK Newbie

bump...

anyone else experience this
Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

No I mean the oval plastic assembly that keeps the boot attached to the center console. And I also saw in the new quadratec summer mag today that someone makes a aluminum bezel (splng) now so you might want to check that out. Il post my pic again. I had no shift knob problems but this is how I fixed my broken center piece thing.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

No I mean the oval plastic assembly that keeps the boot attached to the center console. And I also saw in the new quadratec summer mag today that someone makes a aluminum bezel (splng) now so you might want to check that out. Il post my pic again. I had no shift knob problems but this is how I fixed my broken center piece thing.

Looks good but it's still a plastic piece of Crap! Sucks that no one felt that a metal ring was necessary knowing how violent shifters can get on rough terrain.Looking to up grade mine if and when I see a metal one that's just plain black.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is a metal ring! Its bare aluminum but Im sure you can paint it. I saw it in the new Quadratec summer mag. Mine was fixed because the dealer decided hot glue could fix their mistake. And its actually very sturdy feeling when all three pieces are tightened together with bolts.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default question

There is a metal ring! Its bare aluminum but Im sure you can paint it. I saw it in the new Quadratec summer mag. Mine was fixed because the dealer decided hot glue could fix their mistake. And its actually very sturdy feeling when all three pieces are tightened together with bolts.
do you have detailed instruction on this mod to the ring?...i like the look and am all about making things stronger
Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Secondly I get a rattle from my shifter too, on mine its the clear plastic piece on the top of the shifter, it let go a little bit (crappy adhesive?) but when I push down on it slightly the rattle goes away.

Adam nailed it....The rattle is the shifter diagram on the shifter knob....I got jeep to replace shifter knob and rattle was gone.

Quick Reply: minor rattling from shifter console area-6 speed