Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Muffler Rusty?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Rusty?

I noticed that my muffler has some surface rust on it - and funny enought my wife noticed the same when she was driving behind me. Is this common? Does anyone else have this surface rust? Any suggestions on how to clean it?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-15-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

I do have rust on my muffler also. I was going to spray paint it black, like one of the other posts was talking about. When I actually got down close to do it, I noticed it was covered in rust. I haven't put much thought into how to remove it before painting, I kind of put it on the back burner for now.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

The muffler is stainless steel. 409 stainless, not the real good 304 stainless that will look new for the life of the vehicle.
409 stainless is cheaper and is widely used by the auto makers. It won't rust out fast like regular steel. It is, however, prone to surface rust. I have read that the surface rust is a "protective" layer. Some people have painted theirs with paint that does not require surface rust removal.
This is from a metals properties site:

Corrosion Resistance
Grade 409 resists atmospheric and exhaust gas corrosion. A light surface rust will form in most atmospheres; this rust retards further corrosion but makes the surface undesirable for decorative applications. The corrosion resistance is about the same as that of 3CR12 and the 12% chromium martensitic grades such as 410, and inferior to the 17% chromium grade 430.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-15-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi

I painted mine, looks 10X better and the paint is holding up well (after a couple months). The only prep I did was knocking off the lose dirt/surface rust. It is an easy and cheap job. If it starts to look bad again, nothing that another application of paint can't fix.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

what color did you paint it? Just use rustoleum?
Old 06-15-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by StealthAWD
what color did you paint it? Just use rustoleum?
I used flat black hi-temp paint. Try a search, there is a thread on here somewhere with a bunch of pics so you can see it before you do it. Huge improvement IMO.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi

Here you go:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ainted+muffler
Old 06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, looks like a visit to Home Depot for some high heat flat black paint is in order
Old 06-15-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthAWD
I noticed that my muffler has some surface rust on it - and funny enought my wife noticed the same when she was driving behind me. Is this common? Does anyone else have this surface rust? Any suggestions on how to clean it?

Thanks,
Eric
I used a high heat Tremclad flat black barbecue rust paint with excellent results.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

surface rust? gimme a break. its rough, touf, its a jeep.

ITS STAINLESS STEEL. get it covered under waarranty

Quick Reply: Muffler Rusty?