Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Muffler Rusty?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

naval jelly and a scub pad would take it right off and make it nice and shiny.

you then sell it while it looks said shiny and get a good one...
Old 06-16-2008, 02:38 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by texasKA
surface rust? gimme a break. its rough, touf, its a jeep.

ITS STAINLESS STEEL. get it covered under waarranty
Looks like crud. Jeep or not rust is not cool. As for warranty, I think they would laugh. But if they did cover it, I would have them replace most of my under-carriage as I see evidence of surface rust everywhere.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same thing, and it was leaving large rust stains on my garage floor, so I replaced it with a Banks stainless steel muffler, much smaller and looks and sounds great.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also went the bbq paint route after reading the other thread. IMHO the flat black is the color they should be from the facory. That big silver can sticks out like as sore thumb, it is one thing that has bugged me since we bought it. Once it's painted it dissappears into the background.

I've got to get some pic's loaded into the other thread one day.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Unhappy Rusty, Nasty looking muffler

i have my baby in the dealer for something else. asked them why my JK with less than 9K miles and less than a year old looks likes it's ten years old. they told me they would look into it. what should i expect? any chance they will replace it? not rusted through, just looks awful! i know there are threads about painting it. i don't want that. it's too new for this to be happening. anyone else ask the dealer to replace muffler with any luck?
Thanx
Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

I painted mine, I can't imagine they will cover it seeing as it's not stainless, but if they do, be sure to let us know.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MI MudBoss
i have my baby in the dealer for something else. asked them why my JK with less than 9K miles and less than a year old looks likes it's ten years old. they told me they would look into it. what should i expect? any chance they will replace it? not rusted through, just looks awful! i know there are threads about painting it. i don't want that. it's too new for this to be happening. anyone else ask the dealer to replace muffler with any luck?
Thanx

Good luck with that. I think people have an issue because it is visible, unlike on most cars where you never see it. The under carriage of my JK is typical of any vehicle I have owned and driven year round. I'll bet your axles are going to show signs of surface rust as well, I can guarantee they won't replace those. You can paint it (which is what I did with great results), replace with a higher quality stainless unit, or replace it with a smaller unit you don't see easily or even re-locate it under the Jeep (if an Unlimited).
Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I painted mine, I can't imagine they will cover it seeing as it's not stainless, but if they do, be sure to let us know.
It is stainless. 409 stainless, to be exact. This is the common stainless auto manufacturers have chosen to use for exhaust systems. It is expected to form a surface rust which prevents further rust through. In most vehicles, this is not visible. On the Jeep, painting is a good option. Do a google for 409 stainless steel.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Paint it, be done w/it... Cheap rattle can of flat black grill (high temp) paint... Good to go...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
Paint it, be done w/it... Cheap rattle can of flat black grill (high temp) paint... Good to go...
Did the black muffler mod on first JK & loved it. On my current ride I did it as soon as I got home from the dealership.

It's unique as it's one of those mods people don't notice. Once you do it to your own ride, every other JK looks like it has a trashcan under there.

Quick Reply: Muffler Rusty?