Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Jeep smells kinda hot!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Jeep smells kinda hot!

This may the wrong place for this, or maybe it's already on here someplace, but I couldn't find it. I just drove my Jeep about 4500 miles round trip down to the Keys. Every once in a while it smelled kinda hot. It made me a little nervous after hearing about all the JK's that have burned up, but nothing ever went wrong, and it never overheated. Any advice? Anyone else noticing anything similar???
Old 01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyfargo
It made me a little nervous after hearing about all the JK's that have burned up, but nothing ever went wrong, and it never overheated.
"All" the JK's". I only heard about one on this forum and it looked like the guy was driving around in a dry hay field and picked up a bunch of hay underneath. If I push my JK hard and then jump out I do smell a bit of burning smell which I suppose is the muffler or cats. I used to open my hood in the dark on my Ranger and the Borla headers would glow red hot so I'm assuming the burning smell is coming from the exhaust system. If you are worried carry a fire extinguisher.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Amen brother zylfrax.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine smelled like buttery toast on the other day. I did hit a cat earlier though.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Mine smelled like buttery toast on the other day. I did hit a cat earlier though.
God using a Jeep to kill kittens, thats ironic. Now back to the thread. My Jeep doesn't smell hot but I seldom drive over 70 mph.

Howdy
Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!
I think there have been about 10 JK's on this forum that have burned up, so I was a little nervous. I kinda figured it was just the exhaust, but I was just a little nervous about it, especially since I was so far from home, and b/c I had my dogs in the back. I could just imagine having to pull over on the side of the interstate with the jeep on fire, having to get the dogs out, hold on to them, and try to use the fire extinguishers too! Oh well...I think it's all gonna be OK!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by huskyfargo
This may the wrong place for this, or maybe it's already on here someplace, but I couldn't find it. I just drove my Jeep about 4500 miles round trip down to the Keys. Every once in a while it smelled kinda hot. It made me a little nervous after hearing about all the JK's that have burned up, but nothing ever went wrong, and it never overheated. Any advice? Anyone else noticing anything similar???

Did you make it all the way to Key West. I live in KW and your JK looks familiar. There aren't many on the Island so me seeing your would be quite possible. I live on a main road and watch the traffic go by from my back deck quite often.
Scotty
Old 01-20-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
"All" the JK's". I only heard about one on this forum and it looked like the guy was driving around in a dry hay field and picked up a bunch of hay underneath. If I push my JK hard and then jump out I do smell a bit of burning smell which I suppose is the muffler or cats. I used to open my hood in the dark on my Ranger and the Borla headers would glow red hot so I'm assuming the burning smell is coming from the exhaust system. If you are worried carry a fire extinguisher.
There have actually been three that I am aware of posted here. The "dry grass" one, and a couple more that happened on the highway.

Not that three makes it a widespread problem.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGScotty
Did you make it all the way to Key West. I live in KW and your JK looks familiar. There aren't many on the Island so me seeing your would be quite possible. I live on a main road and watch the traffic go by from my back deck quite often.
Scotty
Yep...I made it all the way down there. I was there nearly two weeks ago...just a one day thing, and then headed back up to Tavernier. We drove around quite a bit while I was there, so it's quite possible that it was my JK you saw!
Old 01-20-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bburgan
Honestly, I don't know if it could get much better than that...living in KW AND owning a JK!

UUMMM Its not that great, But I sure do love my JK. There is so much political crap down here. Plus the devolpers are so money hungry, and everything is so over priced any typical person living down here needs 2 jobs and that only affords them a small place with a roommate. Unless you have lived here your hole life, or a bartender at one of the bigger bars you really need to watch your money closely. My last home down here was a 920 square foot house 2br, 2 and a half bath and the rent was $2200 a month. Thats $6600 (first, last and security) just to get in the door. I moved out of there onto military houseing and now that same home is for sale for over a million bucks that will never sell since the developers are building everywhere and no ones buying homes. I personally can't wait to get to Grand Haven Michigan (my next tour for the CG) in 5 months. I have 8 years in KW and I due truly love the Island but the people have F'ed it all up. Its funny as the tourist have no idea the issues this island truly has. I cant wait to get my JK in some real mud thou, and not have to worry about Salt water puddles. I haven't even talked about the migrant issues yet

Scotty

Quick Reply: My Jeep smells kinda hot!