Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My JK sounds like a law mower.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My JK sounds like a law mower.

I accelerated the other night to get around some grandma and now my JK has a law mower sound to it when I accelerate. That sounds pretty vague even to me but it sounds like something g is flapping around in there either from it coming loose or breaking. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Can is it something small an amature can fix? If not what kind of repair cost am I looking at?

Any insight is appreciated thank you.

AggressivePooch
Old 12-27-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A small hole in the exhaust will sound similar. Possible when you accelerated it was enough additional pressure to blow out a weak spot
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jayrubicon
A small hole in the exhaust will sound similar. Possible when you accelerated it was enough additional pressure to blow out a weak spot
I will check but I am fairly sure that the sound is coming from the engine.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Post a sound clip or youtube video so we can listen with you.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

EVAC leak may souind like that.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you ran over a lawnmower and it got stuck underneath
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Probably an exhaust leak at the manifold. Our jeeps are famous for cracked manifolds, and a large crack in the manifold will sound like that. Stick your head under the hood while it's running and see if you smell exhaust fumes. If you do:

1. Check the bolts that connect the manifold to the exhaust pipe - these can come loose and exhaust will leak when they do. The ones on the driver's side are easy to reach, the passenger side is harder. Try to locate the sound first so you know which side to look at.

2. Check the manifold for cracks - you'll need to remove the heat shield first. That link will take you to a writeup that might help you with getting the heat shield off.

If it turns out to be a cracked manifold, you can either try the fix in the writeup above, or replace it. You can buy a replacement for about $100, but installation is a lot of hard work. It will run you about $450 to have the dealer do it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jeff Loughlin; 12-28-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff Loughlin
Probably an exhaust leak at the manifold. Our jeeps are famous for cracked manifolds, and a large crack in the manifold will sound like that. Stick your head under the hood while it's running and see if you smell exhaust fumes. If you do:

1. Check the bolts that connect the manifold to the exhaust pipe - these can come loose and exhaust will leak when they do. The ones on the driver's side are easy to reach, the passenger side is harder. Try to locate the sound first so you know which side to look at.

2. Check the manifold for cracks - you'll need to remove the heat shield first. That link will take you to a writeup that might help you with getting the heat shield off.

If it turns out to be a cracked manifold, you can either try the fix in the writeup above, or replace it. You can buy a replacement for about $100, but installation is a lot of hard work. It will run you about $450 to have the dealer do it.

Good luck.
Thanks for sharing that info!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Check your oil
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Don't know if its the same thing, but I notice mine has a similar issue when I first start it cold and also when the accelerator isn't firmly pressed at low speeds. Almost like an electric can opener..

Quick Reply: My JK sounds like a law mower.