Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is my Soft Top correct???? (pics)

Old 12-29-2007, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Soft Top correct???? (pics)

So I put my soft top on for the first time yesterday, and wanted to post some pics to make sure it's on right. It's on an unlimited.

First, this C-Clip doesn't "snap" onto the bar, it just sort of rests there. Is this right??

and this flap doesn't seem right. it's right behind the rear door, where the soft top does a 90 degree bend. at the top it sticks out...

finally - want to make sure my rear crossbar is on right, b/c the rubber pieces don't meet...

thanks for everyone's help...
Old 12-29-2007, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures 1-4 look correct. In picture 5 and 6, it seems as though you didn't "roll" the edge of the soft top into the slot. A lot harder to describe than to show. Simple fix though. Pictures 7 and 8 look good, maybe you could rotate the bottom more inward (grabbing the bar, twisting the top of the crossbar towrds you a little bit). May not help you too much, but maybe someone else who can explain better will chime in.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

The easiest way to tell may be to drive to your local dealership and compare your fitment to one factory installed on the lot. Sorry... but the first part looks correct... but, I can't tell from the pics about the other parts.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepnxj3
Pictures 1-4 look correct. In picture 5 and 6, it seems as though you didn't "roll" the edge of the soft top into the slot. A lot harder to describe than to show. Simple fix though. Pictures 7 and 8 look good, maybe you could rotate the bottom more inward (grabbing the bar, twisting the top of the crossbar towrds you a little bit). May not help you too much, but maybe someone else who can explain better will chime in.
wait a minute...i was looking inside where the 90 degree flap is, and there is a groove in there. are you saying, by "roll the edges", and the soft top should end up with a 180 degree turn, going around the corner of the door frame, and then back toward the rear of the vehicle into the slot?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by murray8144
wait a minute...i was looking inside where the 90 degree flap is, and there is a groove in there. are you saying, by "roll the edges", and the soft top should end up with a 180 degree turn, going around the corner of the door frame, and then back toward the rear of the vehicle into the slot?
The hard plastic clip on the back side vinyl windows (the seals right next to the back door seals) does in fact rotate 180 degrees. The best way to get those seals to do that is to completely take those side windows off and...

1) start the zipper about 1 or 2 inches
2) seat the plastic seal discussed above.
3) seat about 1/4 of the lower plastic seal
4) return to the zipper and pull it to the far side, but do not take the turn. (ie, pull the zipper as far as possible while still maintaining its original heading.)
5) seat the remaining 3/4ths of the lower seal.
6) finish the zipper.
7) Velcro the window.
8) your done.

I know all of that sounds like you are jumping all over the place, but it is the easiest way to get that one seal locked in place. Once you get use to it, it will just make sense.

As for your original pictures, I do not think the the support beams are resting correctly in the first few photos. I will try to run out to the garage latter and see how mine looks.

In the picture showing your tailgate area; the plastic seal is only partially inserted for the soft tops rear flaps.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by murray8144
So I put my soft top on for the first time yesterday,
First, this C-Clip doesn't "snap" onto the bar, it just sort of rests there. Is this right??
I ran out and looked at mine, and the C-Clip should lock into place. I believe I had this happen once to me. Just unlatch the header above the visors and raise the top up to the point where you would have to unlatch the sunrider clips. Then re-lower it.

With the weather as cold as it is you may find a hair dryer helps to warm the sailcloth.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

For the side window part. You need to turn that right angle piece and roll it 180degrees into the thin slit on the jeep right next to it. If it seems like its very hard to do... thats because it is. It needs to be a tight seal. So dont worry that your doing something wrong just start at the bottom of it and push your way up. Do this first before you zip and velcro everything up. After the first few times the fabric loosens a little and makes it easier.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pezeveng319
For the side window part. You need to turn that right angle piece and roll it 180degrees into the thin slit on the jeep right next to it. If it seems like its very hard to do... thats because it is. It needs to be a tight seal. So dont worry that your doing something wrong just start at the bottom of it and push your way up. Do this first before you zip and velcro everything up. After the first few times the fabric loosens a little and makes it easier.
man, your not kidding. that's hard as hell to do. but, it's like 45 out, so i guess it'll be easier in the summer...

thanks
Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had my rear driver side zip in window replaced. it looked exactly like yours. i took it in and none of the service people could get it to sit flush. i would take your jeep in with the windows off. ask them to install both windows and if they cant get it to sit flush, ask for a new one.

my new one still doesnt sit flush, but it is waaaay easier to install and it looks much better than my first window.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

i wasn't bending the plastic retainer around and stuffing it in the groove. once i did that, it was a much tighter, better looking fit. thanks for all the help guys

Quick Reply: Is my Soft Top correct???? (pics)