Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mystery's Ding

Old 05-27-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery's Ding

I was wondering if the people who had the mystery's ding happen on slight hills who put in transmission cooler have had the Ding again or if they found another problem to the Ding going off ?

Thread-"Ding" Alarm On Steep Grades

This ding with no warning lights has happen resonantly to me twice now. I can't figure out how to pull codes up I tried it several times with no luck

The weird thing is it never "Ding" when we were pulling our Pop-up camper this past weekend and should have it was the transmission because several times I thought the Jeep was going to die because it would not shift down it would take it forever and I could have walk faster then it was going up this one steep road.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

You ought to check the trouble codes.

Retrieve the codes by turning the ignition key from off to on (starting in the off position and turning to on but not thestart position) 3 times and then leaving it on the third time. This will display a set of codes in the dash. If the trans exceeded 230° then the code "P0218".

It is the likely source of your "ding" but there's no reason you should not be able to retrieve the codes.

I added a trans cooler because even w/o a load, it would get hot on the mountain roads especially with the big tires.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you I did finally get it to work by doing the three times thing really fast. At first it said P0218 and went off real quick then when I tried it again it just said done and no code came up.

I am still wondering why the transmission did not get hot and Ding when we were pulling the camper. This would have been more of strain then coming up my mountain with no load.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

so far as i know, the 'ding' pretty much always occurs when climbing a steep grade. perhaps it has something to do with how the atf sits in the pan - maybe it's unable to feed up into the trany properly or unable to get cooled. don't know for sure but guaranteed, that's what the 'ding' was for.

if you do a search, there has been a lot of discussion regarding the 'ding' and it being a possible suspect into some fires.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the fire part has me real worry. The pass two times it has done it has been the hill just before my house not that has anything to do with anything. But I do have kids. By the way my temp gauge shows normal not over heating there, Other then the Ding everthing else is ok.
I thought they narrowed the cause of the fires to the location of the evaporator canister?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Blue Dog
Yes the fire part has me real worry. The pass two times it has done it has been the hill just before my house not that has anything to do with anything. But I do have kids. By the way my temp gauge shows normal not over heating there, Other then the Ding everthing else is ok.
I thought they narrowed the cause of the fires to the location of the evaporator canister?
Yep but remember your temp gauge is for your engine temp not your tranny oil... ad some say the tranny oil boils over the dip stick over to the manifold and then but thats just rummor as far as I know .. I installed a tranny cooler just in case
Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miguelylucy
Yep but remember your temp gauge is for your engine temp not your tranny oil... ad some say the tranny oil boils over the dip stick over to the manifold and then but thats just rummor as far as I know .. I installed a tranny cooler just in case

I like your description with the Smilies but I don't want to be in the Jeep when it goes
Old 06-02-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thought I would give you a little update...

I took the Jeep to the dealers fix some other things and told them that the Jeep was sounding a chime/Ding on slight inclines and no warning light came on I wanted him to check it for any stored codes. They came back to me and said yes it store a code which as you guess it the trans had over heated.

So they pull their little handy dandy little book out and look up on their computer for any fixes of course Chrysler did not have any. "go figure"
So they said no it should not be over heating just on slight inclines and without me putting strain on it like pulling something real heavy or dog en it up a steep incline. So here again unless there is a know fix for this problem they can not fix it. "Go figure"
SO WHAT GOOD IS IT FOR THE COMPUTER TO STORE A CODE IF THEY CAN NOT FIX IT.

Well he did say I should buy a trans cooler but they do not sell them or install them. I checked because if they did it then Chrysler could weasel their way out of it when the transmissions goes if there is another cause for this. I know for a fact If they can find one little thing that you did may be wrong and may be not even have cause anything they will blame it on that and not take the blame.
I just think we should not have to keep buying parts for a new vehicle in hopes to fix Chrysler screw ups. Just like I told the dealer too I have a brand new vehicle that you want me to buy and put on a after market part on to fix another mess up with Chrysler not making it right in first place.

What is weird Friday and today it did not ding at all so why is it just a random thing and not doing it every time I come up our road to the house. "go figure"

Well I got it all in writing even the part where he states that I should add a after market trans cooler. I think I am going to keep a eye on it for a while if it is still doing it then I might have to go buy one of these coolers.

Quick Reply: Mystery's Ding