Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice - bad rear diff

Old 02-28-2024, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks very much. Was this on the site mentioned earlier?

can just see that logo. I’ll search the site tomorrow.

Resharp - really appreciate the help and direction!

Last edited by Skytow; 02-28-2024 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Skytow, I'm a JK newbie too. I'm sorry to hear about your problem. resharp001 provided some really sound advice and research. Guys like resharp001 are exactly the kind of members I hoped to find here. I recently had the local Jeep dealer install 3.73 ring and pinion sets in my differentials along with PowerTrax Grip Pro geared LSD. Same basic design as TrueTracs. Two weeks later I'm noticing a gear whine under deacceleration in my Dana 30 front in 2wd! I'm going to take it back to them. If you've ever seen a cut-a-way of a TruTrac or PowerTrax differential, there is very little space between the worm and spur gears. Just enough for oil lubrication. My feeling is that if you've got fine metal shavings in your gear oil, the TruTrac is probably contaminated and would be very hard to flush out. IMHO, if the pinion was getting smacked around by the ring gear, the side-to-side or oscillating motion could definitely cause the splined and threaded end of the pinion shaft and the bearing inner race area to round out the housing if the pinion bearing was failing. I hope I can nip my problem in the bud by getting my JK to the Jeep dealer before that happens. Good luck to you Skytow!!!

Quick Reply: Need advice - bad rear diff