Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

need engine help, Jk 4d manuel died on me on the fwy

Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need engine help, Jk 4d manuel died on me on the fwy

Hey Jeepers, need so input and direction. I wanted to go to Anaheim to meet everyone but the JK sounded bad, engine noise.

I got it used, with 80k, so i'm new and now it has 100k i been doing the regular oil change mostly myself but i did bought the extended warranty hope i can use it.

Anyway, for a while the engine has been making a tick-tick tick noise, so i put new oil and add slick 50, but the noise keeped going... today the noise was hard like if i had an empty can of soup with a rock inside and me moving it around. I didn't want to move the jeep but i had to pick up a friend from the airport so I made a bad choice, i took the jeep... Coming from the SD airport, the jeep with the noise going on the 15 fwy, the light of oil came up... i found the nearest exit and before i fully got off the ramp the Jeep turned off> wouldn't start again??? had to have it tow....and that was heart breaking to even see it on a tow truck... i was so sad and mad at the same time... anyway any direction or advise would be a gift to me... thank you...
Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mendigo
Hey Jeepers, need so input and direction. I wanted to go to Anaheim to meet everyone but the JK sounded bad, engine noise.

I got it used, with 80k, so i'm new and now it has 100k i been doing the regular oil change mostly myself but i did bought the extended warranty hope i can use it.

Anyway, for a while the engine has been making a tick-tick tick noise, so i put new oil and add slick 50, but the noise keeped going... today the noise was hard like if i had an empty can of soup with a rock inside and me moving it around. I didn't want to move the jeep but i had to pick up a friend from the airport so I made a bad choice, i took the jeep... Coming from the SD airport, the jeep with the noise going on the 15 fwy, the light of oil came up... i found the nearest exit and before i fully got off the ramp the Jeep turned off> wouldn't start again??? had to have it tow....and that was heart breaking to even see it on a tow truck... i was so sad and mad at the same time... anyway any direction or advise would be a gift to me... thank you...
Let the warranty get you a new engine.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine=toast. Either let warranty get u a shiny new 3.8L or pony up for a Hemi.

Slick 50 didnt have a chance.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like a spun bearing. I haven't heard of this happeneing at 100k miles though. If they are going to go bad, they usually go bad at 30-40k miles. Anyway, if it is a spun bearing, you'll at least need a new short block. I know I did. If you were out of warranty, I would suggest calling AEV or any other hemi swap shop and asking about buying a low mileage 3.8 engine.

What year is you JK? There is talk that some mid 07 to mid 08 models had poorly made bearings from a plant in mexico, and was leading to spun bearings or oil consumption issues. Mine was a mid year 2008 JK and it spun a bearing in the warranty period.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dronac
Sounds like a spun bearing. I haven't heard of this happeneing at 100k miles though. If they are going to go bad, they usually go bad at 30-40k miles. Anyway, if it is a spun bearing, you'll at least need a new short block. I know I did. If you were out of warranty, I would suggest calling AEV or any other hemi swap shop and asking about buying a low mileage 3.8 engine.

What year is you JK? There is talk that some mid 07 to mid 08 models had poorly made bearings from a plant in mexico, and was leading to spun bearings or oil consumption issues. Mine was a mid year 2008 JK and it spun a bearing in the warranty period.
my jk is a 2007 X, and i Love it... I watched a video in youtube and i think ur right it sounded like a spun bearing. Well, like most guys i wanted to do work on my vehicle. I started first to take it to the shops to do regular maintnce but around the 90k i just started to change my own oil. I Know PAPERWORK OF regular oil change is needed not receipt I'm wondering if there's a solution, or if anyone has been in my shoes and what they did or what should i do? any direction would help...OH, I would love if somehow the JEEP GODS make my situation turn in making my JK end up with a V8,,,, but 3.8 work for me thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

If you have the receipt for buying the oil, then that should suffice. If not, maybe your bank records can be used?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dronac
If you have the receipt for buying the oil, then that should suffice. If not, maybe your bank records can be used?
i believe most of the extended coverage they want proof of ASE service.... not a receipt which sucks b/c we can all change oil and save money and use that extra money to get good oil and put it on ur jeep.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mendigo
i believe most of the extended coverage they want proof of ASE service.... not a receipt which sucks b/c we can all change oil and save money and use that extra money to get good oil and put it on ur jeep.
In order for that to be the case, it would have to specifically state it in the policy. It may not be legal to require that.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reccommend you do not tell the dealer you used an additive (Slick 50). It did not cause the failure, but do not give them an opening to claim that. Also, I hope the oil level was near full when it was towed.

I wish you luck.

Last edited by Yankee; 01-11-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: need engine help, Jk 4d manuel died on me on the fwy