Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help - grinding

Old 05-14-2019, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - grinding

Good afternoon guys and gals,

I have a 2013 Unlimited Sport JK which I bought used in 2017. It’s had one previous owner and I’ve had zero issues with it since I bought it. Today however, my first issue has come up.
I started my Jeep and heard a loud metallic rattle/grind that last for about 10-15 seconds and then went away. I killed the motor, waited a few moments and restarted. Not a sound. Drove 20 or so miles to my next stop with no issues. After I fueled up I started her up and the noise came back except it lasted nearly 30 seconds and continued after I put the Jeep in drive. I suspect the starter is not fully disengaging but I’ve never owned a Jeep before so I’m not sure of all the quirks that these rigs have.
Got her home without issue, let it sit for an hour and then restarted. The grind came back and continued while I let it idle in park. It didn’t go away until I shut it off. I saw in a separate forum that sometimes disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes will reset the computer and sometimes fix the issue. I followed that advice and she started up quiet and smooth like she always does. I still suspect the starter but am unsure. My previous rig was an ‘86 4Runner so this Jeep thing is still very new to me.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any wisdom to pass on? Thank you in advance!
Old 05-14-2019, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Yup, sounds like a bad starter. Time for a new starter.
The following users liked this post:
highadventure18 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I'd crawl under quickly and listen near the starter to confirm. The 10 min-disconnect-reset sounds like a waste of time. If the noise is the starter not disengaging, it's likely the starter itself. One can get a voltage reading on the small wire to the starter and prove it's not getting power even through it's engaged and making noise, but for an intermittent problem sometimes part substitution (replacing the starter) is the best method.

Stay in touch,
The following users liked this post:
highadventure18 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies, guys!

I couldn't lay down without trying it again. Fired up and that awful grind came back loud as hell! I think I'll be taking the Wife's car to pickup a starter tomorrow. Is it worth getting a Chrysler/Jeep made starter is a NAPA/O'Riellys/Autozone throw down good enough for these rigs?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by highadventure18
Thank you for the replies, guys!

I couldn't lay down without trying it again. Fired up and that awful grind came back loud as hell! I think I'll be taking the Wife's car to pickup a starter tomorrow. Is it worth getting a Chrysler/Jeep made starter is a NAPA/O'Riellys/Autozone throw down good enough for these rigs?
Whether to go with Mopar or parts store brands, new or rebuilt, is pretty much a decision about how much the OEM reliability is worth to you.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

When I replaced mine, the only one I could get my hands on was an Autozone reman. Everyone else was saying a full week for it to come in. Mopar said a week, plus $300 more.

It is a little louder than the factory starter, but it's been going strong for over a year.

Quick Reply: Need help - grinding