Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need Help w/ Tire Size

Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah a friend of mine has them and he does very little off roading. He loves them. They seem to wear very good as well. His JK is an everyday to and from work jeep and they fit his needs great.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

For the record, you can run 285/70 R17 on stock rims (17") and stock suspension with the only downside being rubbing on the swaybar before full steering lock.

So parking lots and extreme turns are your only concern and 1.5" wheel spacers or bumpstop adjustment fixes that problem.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whiskey_golf
For the record, you can run 285/70 R17 on stock rims (17") and stock suspension with the only downside being rubbing on the swaybar before full steering lock.

So parking lots and extreme turns are your only concern and 1.5" wheel spacers or bumpstop adjustment fixes that problem.
How about with AEV Savegre rims? The have 5.2" backspacing, a little more than an inch less than the stock wheels. This is what I am considering and wonder if there would be any rubbing without spacers or washers. This is what they installed on the Inside Line long term 2012 Wrangler. They never did comment about potential rubbing. And then a month or so later they lifted it. I am not interested in a lift.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Certainly want to stay away from rubbing, I'll go with the 265s to prevent the rubbing that one would get with the 285s as mentioned above.

Any other tires/ideas I should look at?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Nitto makes the trail grappler in a 265/70/17r. They are a little $$$ but look and ride great. It's a blend of the mud grappler (off road) and the terra grappler (pavement) tires. Guys at the shop I take my EEP to have them on their jeeps.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here you go man, Search Results: Discount Tire Zone
Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedJupiter
How about with AEV Savegre rims? The have 5.2" backspacing, a little more than an inch less than the stock wheels. This is what I am considering and wonder if there would be any rubbing without spacers or washers. This is what they installed on the Inside Line long term 2012 Wrangler. They never did comment about potential rubbing. And then a month or so later they lifted it. I am not interested in a lift.
I am about to put these on mine as well but I'm trying to decide if I should go with the 265 or the 285 in the duratracs. I don't want any rubbing so I'm taking my time trying to figure out what tire size I should go with while using the savegre wheels.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

The 1.5” spacers effectively subtract 1.5” from the wheels backspacing. I am not certain if 5.2” backspacing is enough to avoid rubbing with 285s as I have not run anything but stock wheels so far. It might be enough since most of the discussions I’ve seen about adding spacers deal with 35x12.5 and 4.5” backspacing is considered the maximum to avoid rubbing on those tires, which are an inch wider than 285/70 R17.

I never did measure the gap at full lock after I installed the spacers. I’ll measure it when I get home in an hour or so and update.

Edit:

The gap is right at 2" between the edge of the tire and the mark on the swaybar where it used to rub. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that 5.2" backspacing will leave approx an inch of clearance between tire (285/70 R17) and swaybar at stock height.

Last edited by whiskey_golf; 09-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiskey_golf
The 1.5" spacers effectively subtract 1.5" from the wheels backspacing. I am not certain if 5.2" backspacing is enough to avoid rubbing with 285s as I have not run anything but stock wheels so far. It might be enough since most of the discussions I've seen about adding spacers deal with 35x12.5 and 4.5" backspacing is considered the maximum to avoid rubbing on those tires, which are an inch wider than 285/70 R17.

I never did measure the gap at full lock after I installed the spacers. I'll measure it when I get home in an hour or so and update.

Edit:

The gap is right at 2" between the edge of the tire and the mark on the swaybar where it used to rub. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that 5.2" backspacing will leave approx an inch of clearance between tire (285/70 R17) and swaybar at stock height.
This sounds about right, as the backspacing on the Savegre is about an inch less than the backspacing on the stock 17" wheel. The gap might be smaller at full flex off-road, but full lock at the same time as full flex in an off-road situation is rare. Thanks for taking the time to measure. I appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shake n bake

I am about to put these on mine as well but I'm trying to decide if I should go with the 265 or the 285 in the duratracs. I don't want any rubbing so I'm taking my time trying to figure out what tire size I should go with while using the savegre wheels.
If do so this, please post to say how it turns out. I'll do the same if I do it first. Also, I wonder whether we'll need to swap out the bumpers on the spare tire carrier.

Quick Reply: Need Help w/ Tire Size