Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need to mark driveshaft before removing?

Old 01-11-2015, 10:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need to mark driveshaft before removing?

I've seen some places recommend to use white touch-up paint or something to mark where the driveshaft connects to the yoke before removing to make sure you line it back up properly when reinstalling. Welp...I just pulled my front driveshaft and forgot to do that :-/

It seems symmetrical - what's the point of that? Is it really that important? If so, any recommendations for fixing my mess?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ryanwhit
Welp...I just pulled my front driveshaft and forgot to do that :-/
God, glad I'm not the only one that does stuff like this. Wish I could help, just slap it on and try 4wd, if it breaks you've still got the aftermarket one, right?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen some places recommend to use white touch-up paint or something to mark where the driveshaft connects to the yoke before removing to make sure you line it back up properly when reinstalling. Welp...I just pulled my front driveshaft and forgot to do that :-/

It seems symmetrical - what's the point of that? Is it really that important? If so, any recommendations for fixing my mess?

Thanks!
It is to make sure it is balanced on the way back in.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks!
I've never done that. Driveshafts are balanced, but not in any way with the rest of the components to which they are attached. There's no procedure to ensure that a replacement driveshaft is inserted into any particular position, so why if you pull a perfectly working one should there be when reinstalling that same one?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Thanks!
The only thing I've been told and do in regards to drive shafts when taking out or prior to install,
Is mark each end in relation to how the shaft is put together. Just incase it accidentally came apart.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
The only thing I've been told and do in regards to drive shafts when taking out or prior to install,
Is mark each end in relation to how the shaft is put together. Just incase it accidentally came apart.
Teraflex recommends marking at the yokes especially when they come balanced that way.....@ 2:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65eVJGBgxk

Last edited by DJ1; 01-12-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

It won't hurt to make reference marks for re-installation, whether people recommend it or not.
Yours is already out, so if you can't find evidence of how it was lined up on the flanges, install it and see if it actually makes a difference. (Probably won't make a difference.)

This is from the JK factory service manual, regarding drive shaft removal:

Front
Mark an installation reference line across the front propeller shaft CV joint and transfer case flange.
Mark an installation reference line across the front propeller shaft flange and the axle flange.

Rear
Mark installation reference line across the rear propeller shaft CV joint and the axle flange. Also mark to indicate propeller shaft axle end.
Mark installation reference line across the front propeller shaft CV joint and the transmission/transfer case flange. Also mark to indicate propeller shaft transmission/transfer case flange end.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-12-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never marked mine when replacing it, they are suppose to be balanced so regardless of how it is taken out and put back in, it should be a smooth rotation.

That is a good suggestion Rebar-7, I've never had mine come apart but good to know.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for the replies! Sounds like it's good practice and something I probably should have done, but not the end of the world. Lesson learned for next time...

If I run into problems when I put it back together, I'll let you guys know. I had a vibration that went away after removing the front driveshaft. Looks like the yoke in my front diff is pretty loose and I'm leaking fluid, so I'll probably have to replace the bearings anyway.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Need to mark driveshaft before removing?