Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Neutral rollover......WHAT THE???

Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral rollover......WHAT THE???

These threads out there talking about a rattling noise in the manual tranny on the 2012 JK's between 1800 and 2000 rpm upon acceleration explain exactly what I am experiencing. However, after multiple excuses from two different dealers, I get the following explanation from them both:

“There is a normal neutral rattle like noise that is called "neutral rollover" noise, it is caused by the engine firing pulses as the crank speeds up and slows down knocking the input gear back and fourth. The condition is industry wide and all manual transmissions are susceptible to the noise. Some are worse than others due to manufacturing tolerance variations.”

Is this BS or do I have to live with god-awful, marble in a can, broken catalytic converter like sound? How can it be normal?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cverstij
These threads out there talking about a rattling noise in the manual tranny on the 2012 JK's between 1800 and 2000 rpm upon acceleration explain exactly what I am experiencing. However, after multiple excuses from two different dealers, I get the following explanation from them both:

“There is a normal neutral rattle like noise that is called "neutral rollover" noise, it is caused by the engine firing pulses as the crank speeds up and slows down knocking the input gear back and fourth. The condition is industry wide and all manual transmissions are susceptible to the noise. Some are worse than others due to manufacturing tolerance variations.”

Is this BS or do I have to live with god-awful, marble in a can, broken catalytic converter like sound? How can it be normal?
hm, I don't know but I think my manual 07 has the exact same issue..
Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

The biggest issue I have with this is my symptoms are close enough to their explanation, I think it's a misdiagnosis. The rattle is WAY TOO LOUD to be what they are claiming it is. At 45 miles an hour in 4th gear under acceleration, the noise is very loud and quite apparent. How can it be normal?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by cverstij

I believe this explanation, but only as it applies to diesels. My VW Golf TDI has a dual mass flywheel to eliminate this condition. People who replace with regular flywheels get the "neutral rattle" while idling.

I've not heard of it happening to gas engine vehicles, at least not because of the power pulses.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I believe this explanation, but only as it applies to diesels. My VW Golf TDI has a dual mass flywheel to eliminate this condition. People who replace with regular flywheels get the "neutral rattle" while idling.

I've not heard of it happening to gas engine vehicles, at least not because of the power pulses.
Neutral rattle happens while in NEUTRAL, correct? Also, gear rollover happens while going slow, correct? My rattle is at 45mph! That's what is confusing me.

Quick Reply: Neutral rollover......WHAT THE???