Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Fog light help...

Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fog light help...

Hello again everyone!

I just bought some new KC lights for my new bumper (shrockworks). Well, I tried to wire the new lights to the factory wiring because I like the easy-to-use blinker switch that comes with the stock jeep.

Well, when I turn it on, I only get a flicker from the KCs and then they shut off. A few seconds later, the flicker happens again.

I'm not much of an electrical guru, so I don't know if the wiring is just not able to support the load the new lights are pulling, or if it is a fuse problem.

Any insights that may help me figure this out would be great. I can post pics if anyone thinks that would help too.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im on my way outside to start the install of the same KC lights myself. The problem is the stock wiring. The KCs draw significantly higher then the stock fogs, so you'll need the relay which comes with the KC harness. Unfortunately you'll need to hook up the KC wiring harness, unless your feeling creative and want to try to add in that KC relay, I have no idea how though.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ESPMike
Im on my way outside to start the install of the same KC lights myself. The problem is the stock wiring. The KCs draw significantly higher then the stock fogs, so you'll need the relay which comes with the KC harness. Unfortunately you'll need to hook up the KC wiring harness, unless your feeling creative and want to try to add in that KC relay, I have no idea how though.
Gah. I was afraid of that. Well, that means that I need to rewire it all with the stuff that came with the lights. I really don't want those other switches though and really wanna just keep the switch on the blinker. I'm sure that will work somehow.

I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Thanks for the response!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

couldn't you run a power wire from the battery to the fog lights and then use your stock fog light wire to turn the relay on?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MAROONJEEP
couldn't you run a power wire from the battery to the fog lights and then use your stock fog light wire to turn the relay on?
X2

This has been discussed many times on this and other boards. On the KC wiring diagram use the existing wired to the fogs instead of the circuit to the switch on the dash.

SV
Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wiring only took me about 20 minutes this time. I already had experience from my driving lights, but KC really does make it easy. The wiring harness is a breeze to setup and comes out looking very clean.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I added fogs, I did not have a stalk switch, so I added a toggle. But, for wiring them, I used a relay and triggered it from the marker light. This way I could have my fogs on anytime, as long as the parking/markers were on (first click on stalk switch). They will stay on with low and high beams.

Quick Reply: New Fog light help...