Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie 4lo question

Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie 4lo question

I have only been in the deaert a few times and always in 4hi. then i heard that you really put pressure on the clutch that way and the best way is to be in 4lo, but can i go to high speeeds in 4lo? like 80km/h?(i think its 55m/h) Can i accelerate really abruptly and fast with 4lo on?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 AM
JK Freak

Thumbs down No

4Lo is for pulling up rocks, getttin out of mud, dirt something you are stuck in.
I wouldn't go any faster than 10 in four low. I don't know the exact specs, but your engine will blow up if you go too fast. I'm kinda joking but your engine will not like it too much. then it will leave you.

If you are going 80km I don't think you need to be in 4hi. The manual gives the specs for 4hi and 4lo.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:05 AM
JK Freak

even if i go up to 6th gear the engine won't like it? because i heard the clutch is really under pressure in 4hi and i plan of going alot offroading and the clutch plate isn't that cheap if i plan to go every 2 days or so to the desert. any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
even if i go up to 6th gear the engine won't like it? because i heard the clutch is really under pressure in 4hi and i plan of going alot offroading and the clutch plate isn't that cheap if i plan to go every 2 days or so to the desert. any suggestions?
I'm not too good with my metric numbers, but if 80km/h is 55mph, that's even too fast for 4high. The Manual says the fastest you should go with the transmission engaged in 4hi is 50mph.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been able to 15mph in 4lo in 6th gear but i would NOT go any faster than that, but then i have a Rubicon so its a lower geared than a sahara or X in the transfercase.

Kat
Old 01-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Former Vendor

I believe the manual says 20 is the top speed for 4-lo but I like to keep it much lower than that. I don't think it would touch the engine probably would mess up the transfer case though.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:25 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
I have only been in the deaert a few times and always in 4hi. then i heard that you really put pressure on the clutch that way and the best way is to be in 4lo, but can i go to high speeeds in 4lo? like 80km/h?(i think its 55m/h) Can i accelerate really abruptly and fast with 4lo on?
I don't know about pressure on the clutch, but usually 4-hi is recommended in the sand.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Just look at your tach.

I'll bet at 55mph in 4 low it would be well over the red line and that is only if the rev limiter wasn't working.

Actually, I don't believe that you get up to 55 mph in 4 low because of the rev limiter and that's a good thing.

That kind of high winding can puke an engine.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

4lo should be used with as little pressing of the pedal as possible. In other words, only use 4lo at extremely slow speeds. You will damage your transfer case, transmission, engine, etc., etc., etc.

As for 4hi, if you are able to travel that fast, then even 4hi is more than is needed, keep in 2, if you think some obstacles are coming that will requi 4, then shift after you've slowed some. You will do more damage in the long run keeping it in 4 (either hi or lo) when it's not needed.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Thanx everyone, some goood help there. Soon i will try everuthing you guys said and il know whats going on myself. Thanx all!

Quick Reply: Newbie 4lo question