Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No flares!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikxHayward
No flares was fun for a short while.
what size tires do you have?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Problem is, without flares, it throws rocks back at the jeep. One hit hard above the windshield, with the top down. You don't have that problem?

What did you do to the front fender bracket?

It'll sling a rock ever once in a while. I havent had one hit the windshield but one or two hit my rock rails pretty hard. Probably the main issue running without flares is the sandblasting effect on the paint, its not bad it will dull the paint. Plus any water you run through gets thrown everywhere.

I plan on Line-Xing the body at some point so I'm not terribly worried about the additional wear on the paint. I realize this isn't a reasonable option for everyone but I plan on keeping my jk for a very long time.

I cut the fender brackets off.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Garrett J.KU

what size tires do you have?
37 trail grapplers
Old 07-03-2013, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GentleGiant

Problem is, without flares, it throws rocks back at the jeep. One hit hard above the windshield, with the top down. You don't have that problem?

What did you do to the front fender bracket?
Ha! Funny you mention that. Jeep needs a windshield now lol. Rock got the very bottom passenger corner and cracked about 16" towards dead center. As far as the insurance money........... Jeeps getting a 4" lift and 35s. And a smittybuilt src stinger front bumper. Then in a month or so it'll be getting xrc armor fenders.

Mik- what all have you done to your front axle to run the 37s? Was considering goin straight to them but I can't regear for awhile and don't have the down time to tear out the axle and gusset/sleeve/truss it.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-03-2013, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

I only had no flare for a brief amount of when I was putting on my flatties I was contemplating on leaving them off
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1655849859.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	474281  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well after this weekend the flares go back on (but they will get trimmed). With the top down kept raining mud pellets at us and also through the windows, not to mention rocks.

Quick Reply: No flares!