Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No start - doesn't even try!

Old 11-07-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start - doesn't even try!

I'm stuck here boys and girls!
I have a 2008 2dr Sahara 6sp.
this issue has happened before, but only for a few tries, then it would start up. now it doesn't want to go.
I turn the Key, and nothing happens. I don't hear a click from the starter, but i do hear what sounds like a relay activating. the radio turns on, interior lights, head lights, everything seems fine.

yesterday i was trying to start it. at one point it fired right up. engine cranked fine and the jeep started. i let it idle for a while to rule out the battery (not stock, was changed a year or so ago). i turned the jeep off and tried to start again, and nothing.

so it isn't the battery, and it doesnt seem like the starter (also changed last year). I tried to start it in 4Lo to rule out the clutch switch. and i changed the ignition switch last night.

what else is there?!
what am i missing?!

Thanks in advance!
Bareass
Old 11-07-2014, 05:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I wouldn't totally rule out the battery. Starting a car takes a lot of current, and the battery may seem okay with systems that use modest current, but choke when starting. After that, start troubleshooting the starting circuit itself. You've changed some parts, which makes it sound like this has been a long-running problem. Yes? You might check all of your charging and battery cables--grounds and positive lines. Ensure all connections are tight and free of corrosion--especially hidden corrosion between a terminal and its attaching point that may be degrading over time. There are some ideas on this page that may help you with that troubleshooting ...

Voltage Drop Testing
Old 11-07-2014, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

the only reason why i ruled out the battery is because of how effortly it started last night.
no hesitation, no slow crank, it was just perfect.

I will check the circuit and the grounds for corrosion.

as for this being a long time problem, i wouldn't say so. i changed the starter because it died on me, but that was a completely different issue. i had to do the typical, bash it with a pipe to get it to start.
the battery died before that, but that is because the stock battery is crap!

can anyone think of anything else?

Last edited by bareass; 11-07-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bareass
the only reason why i ruled out the battery is because of how effortly it started last night.
no hesitation, no slow crank, it was just perfect.

I will check the circuit and the grounds for corrosion.

can anyone think of anything else?
I had this same exact experience where mine would start perfect then would start like crap or not at all the next. Turned out to be my battery. Haven't had a problem since changing it out.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem happen once. I have a 14 2 door. It stated and bogged out 3 times then nothing after that. The dealer told me it was because of the led fogs on my windshield I installed 3 weeks before. Yea ok. But anyway my anti theft system was triggered supposedly. Hope u figure it out man. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with the battery and the starter. Both can be checked at your local auto parts store for free. Rule them out before you start throwing parts at it.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Easy way to see if it is a low battery or a circuit problem, turn on the headlights and try to crank it if they stay bright something is not letting the power get to the starter if they go completely out or dim considerably I would look towards battery or battery cables / connections, beats running to the store to test the battery, this is effective because headlights are direct fed they do not require ignition switch to work so they do not loose the power feed in the crank position, hope this helps

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bareass
I'm stuck here boys and girls!
I have a 2008 2dr Sahara 6sp.
this issue has happened before, but only for a few tries, then it would start up. now it doesn't want to go.
I turn the Key, and nothing happens. I don't hear a click from the starter, but i do hear what sounds like a relay activating. the radio turns on, interior lights, head lights, everything seems fine.

yesterday i was trying to start it. at one point it fired right up. engine cranked fine and the jeep started. i let it idle for a while to rule out the battery (not stock, was changed a year or so ago). i turned the jeep off and tried to start again, and nothing.

so it isn't the battery, and it doesnt seem like the starter (also changed last year). I tried to start it in 4Lo to rule out the clutch switch. and i changed the ignition switch last night.

what else is there?!
what am i missing?!

Thanks in advance!
Bareass

Starters will do this... I know you said you changed the starter out last year but that really doesn't matter. I have seen new starters out of the box do this. If it were my vehicle an easy check I would do is get another person, your wife, girlfriend, neighbor, buddy... whoever and get them to try it for you. Be ready with a hammer or some sort of something you can use to bang the starter with. If they try the key and nothing, get them to hold the key in as if they were trying to crank it. Get under it real quick and knock on the starter with the hammer or whatever you have. If it starts cranking when you tap on it... bad starter. If still nothing, I would check elsewhere... This test doesn't exactly rule out a bad starter but if you knock on it and it starts cranking over you pretty much 99% have something wrong with the starter. ALSO, if it is not starting you can try putting the key in the ON position then take a wire and jump 12V from the positive side of your battery to the "S" terminal on the starter. Yea you might see a few sparks but... I've done it a bunch of times working on cars and tractors on the farm...just kinda part of it... so be careful. If it starts... could be something in the ignition system such as relay or switch or wiring... You said you changed the switch already so... probably not that. I'd do the knocking on the starter thing if I could and see where that gets you.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Next time you try to start and get nothing, open the TIPM and have another person turn the key to START. Listen to the starter motor relay.
If it clicks, (it won't make much noise, so listen closely), the problem is between the TIPM and the starter.
If it doesn't click, the problem is between the key and the TIPM, which could be grounds, safety devices, connectors, computers, (PCM, WCM, TIPM, etc).

So, determine if the starter motor relay is closing or not.

Here is a picture showing the location of the starter motor relay, and fuse J17.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

This is probably a non-issue with your jeep but wanted to put it out there just in case...

Does your jeep have all of the TSB and Recall items up to date? I believe there is a WCM flash that can cause a "no start" issue with your jeep.

I have a 2013 Unlimited Rubicon and just went to the dealership yesterday for a "no start" issue. Since your jeep is a 2008 i'm going to assume you've already got all the updates.

Quick Reply: No start - doesn't even try!