Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No tsb38/flash for me

Old 12-21-2006, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No tsb38/flash for me

Drop my jeep off at my local dealer today to have the computer flashed tsb 38-036-06.told the service rep that it lost total power 2 times and the esp and bas lights come on 3 or 4 times then went out in 15-30 min by itself.he never heard of that.told him about tsb 38-036-06 he said tech only look at them if they can't find anything else wrong.i say OK but please have them look at it anyhow for me.....please.he writes it on the form.pick up the jeep 6 hour later and it's not the tsb i need a new clock spring which is someplace in the column and will take 1 week to get.

Anyone know what a clock spring is?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

That doesn't sound right. I believe that is the contact for the horn to keep it connected to power despite the twisting of the wheel.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am not sure of the make up of a jeep steering wheel but...in an old dodge caravan I had when I installed the cruise control there was a coil of ribbon wire that looked like a clock spring it was coiled so that you can turn the steering wheel it's full rotations and still have electrical connection from the steering wheel mounted buttons to the rest of the car. I didn't think these jeeps had any steering wheel mounted controls though. so I can't imagine what it would be. sorry after typing I see that this was just an excuse to type something but very little help
:confused:
Old 12-21-2006, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.it dose not sound like the problem but i let them do it because they see something wrong with my clock spring(who knew)and i will print the tsb and ask for them to do that as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

There were a couple threads on this earlier. I don't want to be a jerk and say "do a search", but do a search. I'm pretty sure it has to do with steering wheel position and the ESP light monitoring the turning of the weel in comparison to the turnng of the wheels.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUMONGO
There were a couple threads on this earlier. I don't want to be a jerk and say "do a search", but do a search. I'm pretty sure it has to do with steering wheel position and the ESP light monitoring the turning of the weel in comparison to the turnng of the wheels.
Meh, I did a search and couldn't find anything. Guess I am a jerk.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

The first step to recovery is first admitting you have a problem
Old 12-21-2006, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for being my jerk.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tolh13
thanks for being my jerk.
Anytime!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

The clockspring in the new JK is not nearly as simple as the one in the TJ. It has 4 connectors with 18 different circuits. Here is the description of the clockspring from the FSM:

The clockspring (3) for this vehicle is secured near the top of the steering column below the steering wheel. The clockspring also includes an integral, internal turn signal cancel cam and a Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) that are both serviced as a unit with the clockspring. The clockspring also supports the left (lighting) multi-function switch (1), the Steering Control Module (SCM) internal to the left multi-function switch housing (2), and the right (wiper) multi-function switch (6). Each of these switches and the jumper wire harness (5) between the two multi-function switches can be separated from and are serviced individually from the clockspring.

The clockspring case includes integral tabs for mounting the unit with three screws to the steering column lock housing as well as integral provisions for mounting and supporting both multi-function switches. The multi-function switches are each secured to the clockspring with a single screw (7). The SAS within the clockspring includes an electronic circuit board and a microprocessor, which allows it to communicate with other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The SAS circuitry, the clockspring, and the turn signal cancel cam are all contained within a flat, molded plastic case.

The clockspring case includes three connector receptacles that face toward the instrument panel. Within the plastic case is a spool-like molded plastic rotor with a large exposed hub. The upper surface of the rotor hub has a large center hole, two short pigtail wires with connectors, and a connector receptacle that faces toward the steering wheel. The lower surface of the rotor has an integral dowel that also faces toward the steering wheel. Wound around the rotor spool within the case is a long ribbon-like tape that consists of several thin copper wire leads sandwiched between two thin plastic membranes. The outer end of the tape terminates at two of the connector receptacles that face the instrument panel, while the inner end of the tape terminates at the pigtail wires and connector receptacle on the hub of the clockspring rotor that face the steering wheel. The outer surface of the rotor hub rim within the clockspring case also has the integral lobes of the turn signal cancel cam.

The service replacement clockspring is shipped pre-centered and with a molded plastic locking pin (4) installed. The locking pin secures the centered clockspring rotor to the clockspring case during shipment and handling, but must be removed after the clockspring is installed on the steering column and the steering wheel is installed. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCKSPRING CENTERING).

The clockspring cannot be repaired. If the clockspring is ineffective, damaged, or if the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring/turn signal cancel cam/SAS unit must be replaced.

Quick Reply: No tsb38/flash for me