Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noise in 3rd and 4th gear!

Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM
ALW
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in 3rd and 4th gear!

Please Advise!

I'm noticing a noise in 3rd and 4th gear (35-45 MPH) especially around 2000-2500 RPMs. Sounds similar to a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak. It only happens while I'm accelerating and stops completely if I let off the gas or shift. I can't replicate the noise while its in neutral. Sounds like its coming from somewhere near the firewall, but, could be transmission too. Can't really place it. There's no grinding and it doesn't pop out of gear. I'm clueless here! Any thoughts??
Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sorry I can't help more, but you can try ridding around with the back glass up...it may help you pin point the noise better...for some reason it seems that with the back glass up you can hear a lot more of what's going on without all the wind noise...I found a loose exhaust clamp on mine that I would have never noticed with top completely off, and or doors off due to all the wind, but could hear it plain as day with the glass up
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 PM
ALW
JK Newbie

I will give it a shot! Thanks! I'm hoping that there's not something wrong in the tranny. I'm going to change the fluid just to see what happens. It only has 58,000 miles on it and so far no problems. It's my daily driver and the now and then trail vehicle. I'd rather figure out what the noise is now so I can fix it BEFORE it breaks!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

I think my 2012 has the same noise.. Only in 3rd and 4th.. It's coming front the tranny.. I only 4k on my JK.. Anyone ever hear about this?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2012 with 289 miles and have the same noise it seems like a normal noise to me. I wouldn't worry about it
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

I was hoping for that answer, I done had it geared and I through my lift on.. Didn't wanna have to fight with the dealership about them saying the lift and tires did it.. Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: Noise in 3rd and 4th gear!