Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Noisy at startup

Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy at startup

Didn't drive the Jeep for almost a week because of visiting relatives. Started it this morning and it went to clicking like crazy for about 3-5 seconds. Then the noise went away. Is this normal? The '13 JK has only 133 miles! Traded in the 4 DR for this 2 DR about 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard this was from the oil filter not having a drain back valve.( not sure if that's the technical term for the filter) I changed oil filter on mine to one with the anti drain valve and it quit clacking on startup.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

My 2012 JKUR does this almost every time I start it up. It really bothers me and it just doesn't sound right. I'm due for an oil change this week so I'll inquire about the drain back filter...
Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

K&N oil filter solved the problem for me. Well worth the money!!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

have a first gen 2012 with the pentistar and has always clicked. 36K and its 18 months old. dealer says its normal and i believe them cause when you rev the clicking does not get worse. never had an issue with the engine cause of it, or any problems with the engine what so ever.....except when crossing water...but thats another story

Quick Reply: Noisy at startup