Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

not clutch pedal cant get it in gear

Old 07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not clutch pedal cant get it in gear

so after off roading the other day i drove home and right before i got to my street it was extremely hard to downshift and when i pushed the clutch in nothing happened. now when i start the jeep i can not put it in gear at all its stuck in my driveway. i can put it in any gear when the jeeps not running. is this a common issue and what is the solution?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

quick update. i can start the jeep in 1st or reverse and it wants to creep forward or back and i can move it but i can not shift to other gears. for example i can back out of the driveway but i would have to shut it off shift to first and then restart to move it forward. sounds like a slave cylinder? any help to confirm and how to replace and bleed would help tremendously

john
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Check the fluid level for the clutch system. I think it is shared with the brakes and does not have a separate reservoir.

If you are low on fluid then you have a leak in the system.

Is is wet on the transmission with brake fluid that would also be a good indication you have a leak.

When mine went bad I added brake fluid every day until I could get the slave replaced.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me 3 months ago after a 80 mile freeway drive. Got off the off ramp and could barely get it in gear. Jeep would crawl forward in 1st gear with clutch pushed in. Had to turn the jeep off to get it in reverse. Clutch disc was bent and spring was broke. Throw out bearing was making noise for some time so I just replaced it all. I used a LUK Clutch and I couldn't be more happy.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Slave cylinder may be leaking by causing it to not hold pressure. Remove it from the trans and press the pedal. If the rod does not extend, you know it is an issue with the slave or master cylinder.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with previous post. My money is on the slave cylinder.they always go out at the worst times. my went on the way home from the hospital with first born.my life!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

there is nothing leaking its very dry. can they go bad internally without leaking? fluid is also topped off
Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jcmer22
there is nothing leaking its very dry. can they go bad internally without leaking? fluid is also topped off
Yes, they will internally leak causing it to not hold a seal thus making nothing happen when pressing the clutch pedal. That is why I recommended unmounting the slave cylinder and pressing on the pedal to see if it moves.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZMagic97

Yes, they will internally leak causing it to not hold a seal thus making nothing happen when pressing the clutch pedal. That is why I recommended unmounting the slave cylinder and pressing on the pedal to see if it moves.
Yup...its really the only thing that will affect pedal feel/throw...besides the line itself rupturing in which case you'd know there was a leak! If your brake fluid is low then it has to be going somewhere, since its a sealed unit and it divides the clutch and brake fluid inside the master cylinder it will allow the clutch circuit to loose fluid and possibly even suck air. They run between 80-120 bucks to replace them depending on your location. I would just check your brake fluid...if its low see if topping it off will make it work again and just monitor it to see how long it takes to run low again...if you spend the time to remove it, you might as well just replace it and then the only problem you'll have is just getting the air out of the system...just my .02 but like others have stated the clutch slave is your problem
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120126_222753.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	342966  
Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Removed the bolts that hold it in place and pulled it out the rod was extended and if I hand pushed it in it pushes back out. I had a friend push the clutch in while it was out and the rod extended very very little and then boom it started leaking everywhere. There where some clutch fibers on it when I pulled it out. Is it obvious that its 100% only the slave cylinder? Jeep has 55k on it

Quick Reply: not clutch pedal cant get it in gear