Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Not a typical soft top wind problem

Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a typical soft top wind problem

Hey guys,

I have searched high and low about this problem. Last week I removed my hard top and reinstalled my soft top. After reinstalling the top I have noticed a wind problem, no the typical whistling wind noise from leaks. This problem is at any speed, but is more prevalent at highway speeds. But while driving if there is a gust of wind it sound like the top is going to rip off or someone kicking the canvas.

Now I have tried every way to Sunday with the order of fastening the sail panel, latching the roof and so on. Something's reduce the problem for awhile.

Last summer I don't remember this issue with the roof. And I know it's not buffeting.

I just want to narrow the pliable to it being an actual problem or it's the soft top being a soft top.

Thanks for you assistance.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you make a video or audio recording of the sound
Old 04-19-2015, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

What kind of top is it?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Just throwing it out there: Have you, by any chance, installed a "bug deflector" while still having the hard top on?
Terrible stories/reviews with pretty much all deflectors and wind noise with soft top. Look it up on Amazon. People describe exactly what you said.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as i like taking my soft top off on warm days. I feel like there is more cons on a soft top. I rather have a hard top.

To many problems.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using JK-Forum
Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Evangelos k
Just throwing it out there: Have you, by any chance, installed a "bug deflector" while still having the hard top on?
Terrible stories/reviews with pretty much all deflectors and wind noise with soft top. Look it up on Amazon. People describe exactly what you said.
Yes, I put on a bug deflector last summer. At that time there wasn't a problem with the wind grabbing, but the top was 12 months newer and much tighter.

I removed the bug deflector this morning, no issues with the top banging at any speed now.

Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jfcjr
Yes, I put on a bug deflector last summer. At that time there wasn't a problem with the wind grabbing, but the top was 12 months newer and much tighter. I removed the bug deflector this morning, no issues with the top banging at any speed now. Thanks again.
Noticed the same thing when I put on the Bushwacker hood protector; its just enough to change the aerodynamics and make that flapping. I'm just gonna suck it up. If rather have the occasional flap in the wind over rock damage to the front of my hood.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jfcjr
Yes, I put on a bug deflector last summer. At that time there wasn't a problem with the wind grabbing, but the top was 12 months newer and much tighter.

I removed the bug deflector this morning, no issues with the top banging at any speed now.

Thanks again.
Glad to have helped.

Quick Reply: Not a typical soft top wind problem