Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OEM parts and a speedometer that’s off.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM parts and a speedometer that’s off.

Hi, recently I have found that my speedometer is -5 to-10 MPH off at slower speeds but correct after I pass 55-60 MPH. Once I go past 70 ish it starts to be off by +5MPh.

it’s my understanding that normally the curve for a speedometer to be off is linear not a curve, what can cause this and can I fix it somehow.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

First question to answer is whether your Jeep has stock tire sizes. If larger than stock tires were installed, was the speedo corrected to account for the difference in diameter.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 362 Likes on 338 Posts

It is possible that the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is causing, other sensors wheel speed could be involved. 5 Common Bad Speed Sensor Symptoms
  • Transmission problems. ...Erratic speedometer readings. ... Inability to engage cruise control. ...Lack of torque converter clutch application. ...
  • Check Engine Light is triggered.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:59 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I'd compare the speedometer with the digital reading using a scanner connected to the OBD port. If they don't match, it's probably a problem in the speedo itself.

Quick Reply: OEM parts and a speedometer that’s off.