Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OEM Switches

Old 02-11-2014, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Switches

I want to mount a Viair compressor in the engine bay and be able to turn it on and off without opening the hood and would ideally like to add a switch to one of the panel's empty spots as shown below. First off, is it even possible to add a switch to this panel? If so, where can I find one?

I've done a lot of searching and all I can find are replacement panels with switches designated for uses I don't have/need or switches of many different shapes and sizes to be placed elsewhere.

Your help is appreciated as always!

Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently had an ARB compressor and rear locker installed and tried to have the switches installed in the factory spot and 4 wheel parts said they couldn't do it because of a metal plate behind the factory panel. So I'm not 100% sure about this but according to them it couldn't be done so I just installed a daystar lower dash panel kit.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do remember seeing a thread on this. It is possible I believe.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wish I were more knowledgable about electronics but, I have to admit, it is not one of my strengths. So, I present this general question to those who know more than me.

Regarding an in-cab switch for my soon to be engine bay mounted compressor which draws 20 amps, which is better, to use a switch designed for 20-25 amps or to use a lessor amp switch (such as those micro switches being discussed and used in modifying the OE switch panel) along with a relay?

My understanding of a relay is that it simply allows a lesser amped switch to be used with a higher amped need. Are there any other advantages to using a relay?

I am questioning the need to complicate this install any more than necessary. The old KISS principle.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio
I wish I were more knowledgable about electronics but, I have to admit, it is not one of my strengths. So, I present this general question to those who know more than me.

Regarding an in-cab switch for my soon to be engine bay mounted compressor which draws 20 amps, which is better, to use a switch designed for 20-25 amps or to use a lessor amp switch (such as those micro switches being discussed and used in modifying the OE switch panel) along with a relay?

My understanding of a relay is that it simply allows a lesser amped switch to be used with a higher amped need. Are there any other advantages to using a relay?

I am questioning the need to complicate this install any more than necessary. The old KISS principle.
Usually you opt for a relay when you don't want to run heavy wires a long ways, or where it would be difficult (say a small control panel). Not using a relay can be inconvenient, and can cause loss of power where needed. Lights are a good example. Too long of too small a wire and the lights burn dimmer. Relays have other benefits, too, but no need to go into that now.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

You can not use that panel

There are several options

You can get the Daystar Switch panel (I have used many times)

Or

You can get an SPod

Other options are on the A-pillar but if you ever install a roll-cage that's out the door.

There are more options but I have used these and been they work.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can get one of the other panels you can use something to remove the logo off the switches you do not need/ repurpose. The panel should ground when pressed and you would have to setup some relays and find the pin out for the panel for the buttons.

I did this with a aux panel from a ram 2500 for my 1500. I have a wiring diagram on my Facebook I can post up when I get to a computer. Its not that hard to do when you get the pin out and follow what I did.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here it is figured out how to get a link from phone

Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

The pin out of the switch panel would be what you would have to figure out.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rock Hawk
You can not use that panel

There are several options

You can get the Daystar Switch panel (I have used many times)

Or

You can get an SPod

Other options are on the A-pillar but if you ever install a roll-cage that's out the door.

There are more options but I have used these and been they work.

I have discovered that it can, indeed, be done. Admittedly it's a lot of work but check out this thread:

OEM Dash Custom switch - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Quick Reply: OEM Switches