Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Change Notification?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Owners Manual:

Change Oil Message
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “CHANgE OIL” message will flash in the instrument cluster odometer for approximately 12 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty-cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

From the Factory Service Manual:
The change oil indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when a duty-cycle algorithm contained within the software of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines that a recommended oil change interval has been attained.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

holy crap....I've gotten my oil changed twice....both at 3,000 intervals....I guess I didn't even give it a change ta beep at me?.......I guess I'll never know when ta change my oil now......
Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine use to go off all the time in between oil changes but thats probably cuz the guy at the dealership didn't reset mine when i get it done. now a days it doesn't so im guessing who ever changes my oil resets it.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Does anybody know how to turn the chime off for good. I am tired of listening to it. I do a lot of my own maintenance, and had planned on changing the oil tomorrow, and having a friend clear the warning, but is there a way to competely turn it off?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:01 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine didn't go off for 10,000 miles, but I change the oil at 5-6k anyway.

Useless lights.. ugh.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MYBUS
Does anybody know how to turn the chime off for good. I am tired of listening to it. I do a lot of my own maintenance, and had planned on changing the oil tomorrow, and having a friend clear the warning, but is there a way to competely turn it off?
Originally Posted by tslewisz
You can reset it yourself. IIRC, you just turn the ignition on (don't start it), then depress the skinny pedal to the floor 3 times within 10 seconds. Turn the ignition off. When you restart, it should be gone.
tslewisz method is the correct one to kill the chime and reset the duty cycle algorithm. I've never seen a way to kill the function forever.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
tslewisz method is the correct one to kill the chime and reset the duty cycle algorithm. I've never seen a way to kill the function forever.
Does his reference to the skinny pedal mean the accelerator pedal ... so, then, the procedure is to turn the ignition on and depress the accelerator pedal three times?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by toe_knee
holy crap....I've gotten my oil changed twice....both at 3,000 intervals....I guess I didn't even give it a change ta beep at me?.......I guess I'll never know when ta change my oil now......
I watch the color of my oil to decide when to do it...but I don't go over 5,000.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mefly2
Does his reference to the skinny pedal mean the accelerator pedal ... so, then, the procedure is to turn the ignition on and depress the accelerator pedal three times?
Yes. skinny = accelerator

Quick Reply: Oil Change Notification?