Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Consumption....

Old 07-10-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption....

Was wondering how much oil your JK's 3.8 is using? Approx how many miles before you notice you're a quart low? Kinda would like to get an average here.
Thanks......
Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

Ooops sorry.....I meant for this thread to be in "JK Talk"......my bad.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Jedi

I guess......"Stock JK" works too......
Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Was wondering how much oil your JK's 3.8 is using? Approx how many miles before you notice you're a quart low? Kinda would like to get an average here.
Thanks......
about a quart every 1200 miles. For the first 32000 miles I didn't consume a drop ... Still trying to sort it out where it's going.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the oil filter. I was having the same problem and discovered the oil filter wasn't tightened enough. The small amount of seapage from the loose filter was the culprit.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 AM
JK Jedi

Mine seemed to use a little early on (still on dino). I didn't have to add a drop to it on my last oil change (using synth). Was still completely full.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Mine seemed to use a little early on (still on dino). I didn't have to add a drop to it on my last oil change (using synth). Was still completely full.
See, that's pretty much why I've asked. For the last couple oil changes my rig has gone down a quart before the 6k synth oil change time....a little over 5k. I posted another thread about this because I am running Royal Purple, and wanted to know if anybody else has noticed the same. One guy, can't remember who, said he had the same happen with RP, and when he switched to Mobil 1, he didn't use any oil. I guess it doesn't matter as I've already decided that I will not use RP anymore. When I first bought it I got it for around $7. a quart....by the case. Last time they charged me $10. So I feel it's not worth it anymore. I just really wanted to know what kind of oil consumption people were getting using ANY type of oil, so I could get an idea of what is normal or not.
Thanks.....
Old 07-11-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

See, that's pretty much why I've asked. For the last couple oil changes my rig has gone down a quart before the 6k synth oil change time....a little over 5k. I posted another thread about this because I am running Royal Purple, and wanted to know if anybody else has noticed the same. One guy, can't remember who, said he had the same happen with RP, and when he switched to Mobil 1, he didn't use any oil. I guess it doesn't matter as I've already decided that I will not use RP anymore. When I first bought it I got it for around $7. a quart....by the case. Last time they charged me $10. So I feel it's not worth it anymore. I just really wanted to know what kind of oil consumption people were getting using ANY type of oil, so I could get an idea of what is normal or not.
Thanks.....

We'll see how it goes now that I'm on my second change of synth, for the record I'm using Pennzoil Platinum. Seems to be pretty good stuff for the money as well. I also run the stock Mopar filter, which has been good in the anti-drainback valve category so far.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I first bought it I got it for around $7. a quart....by the case. Last time they charged me $10.
Mobil1 at Wally World is $22 for the 5 quart jug (on sale - $28 if not), then $7 for the extra quart..... 6 qts at $29, which is just under $5 a quart!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rp 40,000

Changed to RP (5-20) at 6000, check every am, run 10,000 between changes, now have 46,000---use maybe 1/2 quart between changes--very happy with RP--also have Power One permanent filter installed when I changed to RP--installed an oil pressure and temp gauge using a filter collar at same time--everything runs well -- C.R. Wood

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption....