Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

oil filter relocation???

Old 06-07-2008, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw on another jeep forum that Mopar filters are actually made by WIX. Don't know if that's gospel, but there you go.

Clay
Old 06-10-2008, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Vedict Is In......

well - the verdict is in....
switched friday to the "oversized" pure one purolator filter. saturday morning... KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK on startup.... so i went back to the parts store and got the purolator "OEM" size filter and installed it........

not a sound out of the engine since!! my thinking now is that the design and PSI specs for the "oversized" filter makes a big diffenrence in this situation. it's not really "defective" filters, but the truth is (and let's be honest here guys) we ARE using the WRONG filter for our application! my JK only began the start-up knock after i switched to the mobil 1 oversized filter (it was knocking every single time it was started). the oversized purolator filter did the exact same thing... then a switch back to the OEM spec filter = NO KNOCK.

believe me, i was VERY QUICK to jump on the "oversized filter" bandwagon - but now i am going to be VERY QUICK to jump off.
i am going to stick with the OEM size filter from here on.... the small amount of "increased filter surface area" of the oversized filter is not worth the oil starvation at start-up. i think the damage done to the engine with the stratup knock is much more detrimental to the enigne life than the smaller OEM size oil filter.

sticking to the 3k mile change intervals, the smaller filter will not make any difference.

Quick Reply: oil filter relocation???