Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Leak

Old 03-01-2021, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Went to change my oil today and the bottom tranny pan and crossmember is covered - is is definitely motor oil. Seems to be coming somewhere from above. Thought main seal but pulled the plugs and the bell housing is bone dry. Is there anywhere else this could be coming from. It is defiantly oil that is leaking. Or is this the usual oil cooler housing leak. I can see a bit of weeping at the bottom, of the housing with a flashlight but no pooling.

I am in Canada and usually order from rock auto. The housing seems to be out of stock and the dealer wants way too much. Anybody have any experience with aftermarket. Still cold outside but I figure a few hours a day can do it in a 3-4 days.

I must have driving more months like this. Odd part was I was not really that low on oil.

It’s a 2015 JKU auto.

Last edited by hydronaut; 03-01-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,608 Posts

This is likely the dreaded leak around the oil cooler. Probably have some pooling in the valley of the engine and then it's making its way down and all over. It's pretty common issue on the 3.6L, especially in that '14-16 range it seems.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

99 percent sure it. The more I look I can see seepage where the plastic meets the metal portion. Way too cold out today to continue looking. Guess will have to keep topping up and try to find one. Odd though, only me who changed the oil since day one and never over torqued.

Must be pooling because doesn’t leak when parked but when drive sprays over everything.

Can anybody confirm the part number?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I would also check the oil filter housing. In particular, the 2014's have many incidences of cracked oil filter housings. It happened to mine as well.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If and when I'm allowed to continue to post my topics, I have a few major announcements relevant to the oil filter adapter/ cooler/assembly leaking issue as our jeep was just repaired last Tue.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

you just kinda get bored with inactivity on the other site don't you....can't help yourself but to come back and just get frustrated again. nobody has yet stopped you so i'm not sure why you say "if and when you're allowed to". You are the biggest drama queen on the entire internet.
The following 3 users liked this post by resharp001:
2011oscarmike (03-11-2021), hydronaut (03-05-2021), Jay2013jk (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

resharp001

I'm not being allowed to post and if I do, I get a message saying my post must be moderated then denied or approved.. So yes I can post, but it's not going through in "real" time. other wise I have a lot of info on this leaking issue. because our jeep had this issue and I witnessed the replacement going into our shop only to learn it unit is not broken but that the o-rings failed to seal. So if you or the forum doesn't want my input then so be it.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
resharp001

I'm not being allowed to post and if I do, I get a message saying my post must be moderated then denied or approved.. So yes I can post, but it's not going through in "real" time. other wise I have a lot of info on this leaking issue. because our jeep had this issue and I witnessed the replacement going into our shop only to learn it unit is not broken but that the o-rings failed to seal.
I'm going to say this here because I know you just ignore any PM from me, and then I am going to stop clogging up this member's thread with banter back and forth with you.

Nobody has flagged your member ID with having to have posts approved or not. If your post was flagged as being moderated it was random chance based on some language in the post. A lot of times the system flags posts that are completely innocuous. I don't know how that algo works but it's not anything moderators control. How bout you stop addressing each post to a particular person. We all know who your comments are directed to when you make them.

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
So if you or the forum doesn't want my input then so be it.
You are like being in a toxic relationship with some insane partner. At some point any information you have is not worth the absolute s-show your presence brings about. That is why you have been banned from just about every forum, under multiple member IDs. You know that and you admit it. It is the same reason people from other forums get joy in following you around and waiting for the fun to ensue. Personally, I'm waiting to see how long it takes for Matson to realize the nutcase he has on his hands over there. All in good time. So, do I want your input? No, I don't. Does the forum want your input? That is not for me to decide.

What I would appreciate is if/when you get pissed again, don't go and change every single one of your posts or threads to "thread deleted" or "post deleted" and leave a mess that I/we have to then go clean up. Take some advice from Motley Crue...."don't go away mad, just go away".

Hydronaut - I'm sorry for creating this distraction in your thread. I'm off my soapbox.

Last edited by resharp001; 03-06-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm going to say this here because I know you just ignore any PM from me, and then I am going to stop clogging up this member's thread with banter back and forth with you.

Nobody has flagged your member ID with having to have posts approved or not. If your post was flagged as being moderated it was random chance based on some language in the post. A lot of times the system flags posts that are completely innocuous. I don't know how that algo works but it's not anything moderators control. How bout you stop addressing each post to a particular person. We all know who your comments are directed to when you make them.

You are like being in a dysfunctional relationship with some insane partner. At some point any information you have is not worth the absolute s-show your presence brings about. That is why you have been banned from just about every forum, under multiple member IDs. You know that and you admit it. It is the same reason people from other forums get joy in following you around and waiting for the fun to ensue. Personally, I'm waiting to see how long it takes for Matson to realize the nutcase he has on his hands over there. All in good time. So, do I want your input? No, I don't. Does the forum want your input? That is not for me to decide.

What I would appreciate is if/when you get pissed again, don't go and change every single one of your posts or threads to "thread deleted" or "post deleted" and leave a mess that I/we have to then go clean up. Take some advice from Motley Crue...."don't go away mad, just go away".

Hydronaut - I'm sorry for creating this distraction in your thread. I'm off my soapbox.
No worries. Pulled the cooler, ordered a set if o-rings, gaskets and plugs. Not rocket science fix and move on. Not sure why the previous poster (on another forum) was talking about running things by engineers. Anybody with some mechanical knowledge can understand how it works. Even if somebody wanted to fab a up a plate to relocate anybody decent skills with mill cold probably do in a few hours. To be honest don't even really care that it was leaking, have fixed much worse things on the Jeep and this is by far an easy job.

Took me more time to find/match and order a coil electrical connector that broke from Newark because the dealer wanted 50 bucks for pigtail where I can make 10 for $30,00 including shipping. Also shattered the crankcase breather hose because it was so brittle but nothing a piece of fuel hose can't fix.

My only gripe was that nobody seemed to have the damn things in stock. Also not sure what the other poster meant about being able to witness the repair. This is not the second coming of Christ, it just a basic repair job that they dealer overcharges for,

Last edited by hydronaut; 03-06-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

It is par for the course. The force is strong with that one (the dark side ).

These things are sure hit and miss. My '13 has been fine for coming up on 100k miles while others experience the failure fairly quickly. Glad you resolved your issue in short order.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak