Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Pan Removal

Old 06-23-2020, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Removal

2015 Unlimited
Dealer sent it to a oil change shop before i bought it and they must have cross threaded the drain plug. 1 st oil change and I find it. So I need to replace my oil pan, no big deal I thought...

Removed the 2 nuts and 12 bolts. I figured a couple of wraps with the hammer would pop it off. No go. Tried a prey bar on a corner no go. What did they seal this with at the factory, JB weld? What am I missing?
Am I supposed to drop the upper pan too? Seriously my next step is a chisel. How has anyone else gotten their's off without damaging the sealing surface?

Once I do get it off I have a fel-pro gasket. I planned to use it without any permatex or what ever. I have seen the gasket sold with an o-ring. What is the o-ring for? Oil filter maybe? I can't think of anything about an oil pan needing an o-ring so I am thinking I do not need an o-ring.

PS I though I had posted this last Sunday so if this is a double post sorry.

Last edited by wiggledbits; 06-23-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

You may not like this idea, but consider simply retapping the drain hole and using a fumoto valve that you wouldn't have to remove every time you go to change the oil? Makes life a bit easier too.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Haven't removed a 3.6L oil pan, but on similar have used plastic chisels and putty knives used as a wedge with a hammer. Having had the 3.8L pan off, the lower half is stuck on pretty good as well, and the upper half to the block comes off relatively easy.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:12 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, no, that won't work. The plug is not stock and a impact driver only made it round.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

ok time for a trip to harbor freight. already drilled a hole in pan to drain oil.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

The lower oil pan should just pop off. Mine was on with just a gasket and popped right off. The upper oil pan is a different story and is a pain to get off!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by wiggledbits
Yeah, no, that won't work. The plug is not stock and a impact driver only made it round.
Ah, I see the pickle now. Sorry, I thought you had the bolt out and just couldn't get it in with a good seal.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jharris09
The lower oil pan should just pop off. Mine was on with just a gasket and popped right off. The upper oil pan is a different story and is a pain to get off!
I wish mine did. I swear they used JB weld. Mostly want to hear if there was more to it than it is just a pan attached to nothing after you take out the obvious bolts and 2 nuts and it it clear to remove.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

That's it. You just take out the bolts and the 2 nuts and it should come off. There shouldn't even be RTV on it. It doesn't need any, just the gasket. There are no hidden bolts or anything else.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jharris09
That's it. You just take out the bolts and the 2 nuts and it should come off. There shouldn't even be RTV on it. It doesn't need any, just the gasket. There are no hidden bolts or anything else.
I have read that at some point they started using rtv. There is no gasket that I can see. Have to pick up plastic scrapers that look like they're shaped like chisels.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal