Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OK, I Give Up...I can't shift this thing!!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, I Give Up...I can't shift this thing!!

First, I've gone through the requisite squeekly clutch fix, etc....

I've had this for six months and I swear I can't take off smoothly in first gear. Its darn near impossible. I've had manual trannies all my life and never this kind of behavior.

Is it the 4.10 gears?

I feel like there is a very small rpm range to make it work. Most of the time I barely give it any gas, let out the clutch, and away I go. But, a very high percentage of times I do the EXACT same technique and I literally squeel the tires, or pop the clutch. Its driving me nuts. I almost feel like the clutch is slipping.

HELP!!!!

Curious to hear some other opinions. THanks.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Jeep and me have similar issues as you. It is much more difficult to drive than my TJ Rubicon w/ the 5 speed. Of course, it's a whole lot different than the Cayman. I guess it takes some getting used to. I would say the gears don't have anything to do with it. It's the clutch/pedal action.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Junkie

I almost always start in 2nd unless I'm on a slope or pulling something. Seems to be a lot smoother. Other 6 speeds I've driven have been the same way. 1st is almost like a Underdrive (oposite of overdrive) and seems to work best when under more load.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I almost always start in 2nd unless I'm on a slope or pulling something. Seems to be a lot smoother. Other 6 speeds I've driven have been the same way. 1st is almost like a Underdrive (oposite of overdrive) and seems to work best when under more load.
Yeah, I've heard that here before a few months back...starting in second. Guess I was afraid I'd fry the clutch (doesn't need any help, ha)
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Wow... I am so glad I went with the Auto tranny
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
x2 -- This is my approach. I think that's why this jeep is a 6 speed. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

When I test drove my Jeep the first thing I noticed was how late the clutch engages.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

I test drove a 2dr manual and found the shifting to be very smooth in all gears.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've had my 6 speed for over a year now, and always start on 1st smoothly. You might need to have that checked out again.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I sometimes in cold start situations tend to hit the gas slightly more to get her to go. By habit I jumped into a car with turbo and I peeled out so for comparison ,it's no turbo.

Quick Reply: OK, I Give Up...I can't shift this thing!!