Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

onboard air - real life experience wanted - WARN Powerplant??

Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default onboard air - real life experience wanted - WARN Powerplant??

How about some real life input on airing up 4 35’s in the blazing heat when you’re dead tired??? I want a system that’s gonna work and work quickly.

I also need a winch. My thoughts are do I want to combine systems into one WARN PowerPlant or go with separate systems, i.e., WARN 9.5cti or ti and a Viair system?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I have the smittybilt $50 compressor. Its is adequate, but not quick.

Some of the guys I wheel with have the Warn Powerplants or the Viair systems. I don't recall much about the Powerplants, but the Viair systems work great. Oh and they are a lot faster on their 35s and 37s than my compressor on 33s.

The system that I have seen and really like is Woods (Jeepswag.com) Dominion Offroad setup with the Viair system. I really like how the tank mounts under the hood.

Also it is really usefull when you mount a quick connect from the tank to your front bumper. So you get out of the jeep and plug the line in and fill up instantly with no screwing around to lift the hood, etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

I see my friend andrew beat me to the punch..... woods/dominion/jeepswag is a great system, i would like to add another tank for my 37s though. it was perfect with my 35s. aired up from 12 to 30 in 10 minuites. takes about 15 with the 37s

edit: just last week I aired up next to a warn powerplant he got his 35s done in about the same time I got 3 of my 37s done so either way you will be around 10 minuites. I went with my set up so I would have the tank with air ready anytime I need it, plus it gives you the option down the road for lockers or train horns or what ever else you can dream up!!!

Last edited by CrazyCasey; 06-01-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

I've been considering the same and have more of less narrowed it down to these questions:

Do you mind having both eggs in one basket? Some have expressed concerns about having two vital systems attached to a single device. It is a Warn, so this doesn't bother me personally. I've seen very little immediate proof of complete failure in my search, just "friend of a friend" stories.

Do you mind the size of the powerplant? It's huge. The look bothers some people, and others have expressed concerns about engine heat issues if it is on a top mount bumper winch plate. Shrockworks and a few others mount low enough to cover this problem.

Do you mind the extra plumbing and whatnot necessary for an OBA system like the VIAIR?

Personally, my desire for simplicity and minimal modification has me leaning toward the Powerplant. That, and apparently it bas a much higher CFM that allows the use of some air tools in the wild that the non-belt systems can't do. That is just something I picked up elsewhere though, so don't take just my word on it.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I have the Warn PowerPlant and really like it. But, while it isn't as slow as those power port powered devices you can pick up at Sears or Walmart, it's also not as fast as a typical shop compressor. In fact, it reminds me a great deal of using one of those machines at 7-Eleven that you stick quarters into--both in sound and performance. The biggest delay with filling your tires at the trailhead after a run isn't your own compressor's performance, however. It's all of those other folks who ask you to fill them up, too!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

I prefer separate systems. Though Warn is a good company, with good, reliable products, if my OBA breaks, I don't want to be without my winch while it's shipped off for repair.

Remember those crappy TV/VCR combo's? Your VCR breaks and you just have a big, heavy, ugly TV.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a Viair OBA and Warn 9.5ti mainly because the Powerplant woundn't fit in the Mopar bumber without some fab work. Also the Viair system fits like a glove looks really good under the hood.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Warn Power Plant I love it. Airs my 37s quickly *
(about 2 min per tire from 15psi to 40psi) also use it for my ARB air lockers. Never had any problem with over heating either. I will say you are everyone's best friend at the end of a ride. Which doesn't bother me at all it's a great way to make some good friends and they are more than happy to help you when you need it.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Air and Winch

I have a Smittybilt XRC8 Winch and Front stinger bumper. I got a smoking deal on them so I am using these.

For air, something that hasn't been mentioned is CO2. I am going to be building my own CO2 system with a 15lb bottle. Should be able to do it for under $200. It's work great, is fast from what I've read, can run power tools and it's compact and transportable. If I want to throw it in the wifes Suburban to fill up lake toys when we get there I can, or take it in the house and use an air ratchet, or whatever else you can dream up. Only downside is you have to fill it up, but a couple times a year at $5-$8 is fine for the convenience.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Junkie

Settle - you saw this thread, right?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...&highlight=co2

Quick Reply: onboard air - real life experience wanted - WARN Powerplant??