Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Over heating on highway

Old 06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
Thank you again for your help. I have no mud in the fins. so it must be air flow. I have two questions through. First, does having the aev hood etc help with the pressure problem you suggested or should I go back to the stock hood. Second, if I take the intercooler out and there is nothing infront and the problem still exists what solutions are there?
I take it your hood has vents in it. There is a high pressure area in front of the windshield. If the vents are in that area, it will raise the pressure in the engine bay.

Tape some little streamers on the vents and see what they do at highway speed.

If they try to go into the vents, that indicates air going into the engine bay, which will slow down the air going through the radiator.

If they blow out of the vents, that could mean good air flow through the radiator, or air is getting into the engine bay from underneath, which would slow the air through the radiator.

Ideally, the streamers would just lie there.

I would think the vents in the hood are more for slow wheeling. They would let some hot air from the engine and radiator rise through them, instead of having to pass under the Jeep.

There is always the possibility it is something else, though.

Coolant level; radiator cap performance; air in the system; etc.

I'm sticking with air flow because of all the stuff you have in front of the radiator.
I've seen it happen many time on the interstate when a pickup with a plow on the front tries to go 65 mph.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-09-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching this thread because I have a very similar config and am having the same problem. I do run the Stage 2 with Intercooler.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We've had very few reports of JK's running hot - but since there are one or two of you here we can share what we know...

Check:
  • That there is no air in the coolant system, bleed it properly
  • Check that the exhaust system, in particular the manifolds anywhere before the O2 sensors are not cracked as it will cause the engine to run leaner/hotter.
  • Check that the FAN switch is in deed working at both speeds high/low
  • Separate the trans cooler from the radiator, its been known to share heat
  • Have the integrity of the coolant checked for all contaminants
  • Check and/or Replace the Thermostat

Secondly - In your DIABLO Tuner you can go into the setting and increase your fan turn on.

Go to:
  • Performance tune
  • Custom tune
  • Modify custom tune
  • (Your options will be there for you to modify)
  • ESCAPE
  • Install Custom tune
  • 7min tuning process
  • All done

RIPPTECH
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. I ordered a replacement trans cooler as I had to remove the B&M when the intercooler was mounted. It should be installed in a couple days. I will post up the results. Going to change the trans fluid and filter while I am at it.

I also am picking up a t-stat and will be flushing/replacing the coolant soon after just as a precaution. I did go in with orange dex-cool to replace the coolant lost during the supercharger install. Not sure if that lowered the integrity of the cooling system or not. I purchased mopar HOAT coolant earlier today.

I am certain the system is currently bled properly.

(sorry for the hijack OP)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Subscribed. I'm overheating in high heat.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Subscribed. My engine compartment gets so hot since the RIPP Supercharger I can hardly touch the latch when opening the hood.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Just thought I would update. I installed a new Trans Cooler, replaced all the coolant, replaced a perfectly working T-stat just because I guess, and I am still overheating.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJ Willy
Just thought I would update. I installed a new Trans Cooler, replaced all the coolant, replaced a perfectly working T-stat just because I guess, and I am still overheating.
Hey TJ - to help rule variables out - maybe email ripptuning@gmail.com and we will update you to our newest tune RIPP 3.2

RIPPTECH
Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Hey guys... this is Phil from EA. Yes, got the new tune loaded tonight... quick test drive solved the BARO issue... Well go for a drive across town tomorrow and check for overheating.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone found a solution yet? I am about to remove my front inner fenders to see if the extra air flow will help.

I had to pull an offroad trailer earlier this week and the RIPP power is awesome. It really makes all the difference. The problem for me is not being able to tap into it when I really need it while towing. Basically overdrive takes my RPMs too high which results in high engine temp.

This comes into play when towing over hills. As long as I keep the RPMs below 2400-2500, my engine temp never really got above 230+ ----still kinda warm but manageable. If the RPMs get above that, temps will just start climbing till either I slow down enough to keep it in overdrive (40 mph on a small hill) or just pull over and let it cool down. Once temps got to 249 degrees and I had no choice but to pull over. In just a few minutes, temps will drop to normal and in the time it takes to fill up the gas, it will drop to sub 200 degrees and stay that way.

I monitor temp through the ODBII port with AeroForce gauges.

I have added Water Wetter and Purple Ice with no luck.

Ambient temps this summer have been 107 to 111 and we have had like 90 days this year over 100 degrees.... so it has been hot.

The next step seems to either be an upgraded radiator (if I can find one that will fit) or high speed fan or both. I really don't have the money to just throw at this so I am hoping someone can chime in who has solved this problem.

Quick Reply: Over heating on highway