Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0052, replaced sensor, code and engine light still present.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0052, replaced sensor, code and engine light still present.

My 2007 JK is throwing code P0052 which indicates a problem with O2 sensor 2/1. From reading on another (older) thread here, that should be the top driver's side sensor located just under the steering column.

I replaced that sensor last week, but my check engine light and the P0052 code are still present. I removed the battery terminals and left them off for a couple of hours, but that didn't help. Code and engine light were both back immediately. I've definitely made more than 3 trips since replacing the sensor too.

Did I replace the wrong sensor? Any other ideas on what to try next?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try going to a repair shop that offers free scans and see if they'll reset your ecm.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rich6700
Try going to a repair shop that offers free scans and see if they'll reset your ecm.
Yeah, I suppose I could, but would rather not impose on someone working for a buck with a request for a freebie favor. Like I said, it's been more than three trips anyway. The code should have gone off by now on its own.

Last edited by Geko45; 03-19-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The sensor isn't the only possible cause.
You did pick the correct sensor, though.
Here is some info for the code you have.

P0052-O2 SENSOR 2/1 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH

• When Monitored: Continuously during O2 heater operation with battery voltage between 10.4 and 15.75 volts.
  • Set Condition: The PCM detects that the O2 sensor heater element input is above the maximum acceptable voltage. One trip fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
    NOTE: If P0688-AUTO SHUTDOWN RELAY SENSE CIRCUIT LOW has set along with any of the O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH DTCs, all of the O2 Sensor Heater Control circuits need to be checked for a short to battery voltage.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: center"]Possible Causes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]O2 2/1 HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]O2 2/1 HEATER GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]O2 2/1 HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]2/1 O2 SENSOR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-19-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a follow up for thread closure. It took purchasing an AEV ProCal unit to clear the code and get the engine light to finally shut off. Nothing short of that seemed to have any effect. Not even disconnecting the battery for an hour and then doing three good runs after replacing the sensor.

Quick Reply: P0052, replaced sensor, code and engine light still present.