Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0430 code and engine knocking?

Old 04-20-2019, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0430 code and engine knocking?

The engine light came on my 07 JKU while I was about 60 miles from home, did not notice any change in engine or driving ability. About 10 miles from home the motor acted VERY sluggish and was dropping down to passing gear a lot during highway speeds. When I pulled into the driveway it died right in front of my barn and smelled really hot, even though the coolant gauge said it was normal temp. Tried to start it and would barely turn over, and would not start. Let it cool off, got it to start and read error code 0430. Got it in barn on level ground and it was around 1qrt low on oil. After getting oil to normal level, it has a knock when revving the motor. Does anyone have any idea if the code and motor knock are related, or am I totally screwed? **UPDATE** So I unhooked battery for about 30 min. Started and no code, but horrible knock when revving engine still.

Last edited by Goody4u88; 04-20-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Your Wrangler has at least two oxygen sensors, one before and after the catalytic converter. Among the many jobs that oxygen sensors have is they have to measure the emissions levels coming in and out of the converter. P0430 means that the Oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter is registering an improper reading.

The upstream and downstream oxygen sensors should show different readings. The computer wants to see that the catalytic converter has scrubbed exhaust emissions. When the readings from the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors show similar readings, it means these exhaust isn’t being scrubbed and the vehicle will throw the service engine soon light (P0430).

I had this code also on my 2008. I rolled the dice and bought Catalytic Convertor Cleaner off of Amazon. Poured it in and am 4 months with no cade. Not trying to sell you snake oil but it worked for me.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

I am taking it to dealer tomorrow for a confirmation of condition. Will post result when I get it, thanks for the help!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update!

Update, rod knocking in motor, not good. Dealer is looking for used motor, anyone have any thoughts? Remember this is/was my daily driver.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

So it was recommended for me to replace motor with a Mopar remanufactured, but I honestly can't afford it! Can I pull the motor and just rebuild it? Anyone have knowledge-based opinions on this subject? I'm very mechanically/electrically skilled but it has been a LONG time since I rebuilt a motor. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: P0430 code and engine knocking?