Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pencil hole in top... How to fix?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pencil hole in top... How to fix?

A tree branch broke and fell on my top. It punched a pencil size hole in the soft top, any ideas on how to patch it? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2893841426.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	477702

In all honesty, that would be my temp fix. Friend of mine actually used it to patch inner sidewall after tires got slashed as temporary fix and it held air
Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out some of the 3M adhesives and get some color matched vinyl. Some of the upholstery shops might give you a small piece for free. Also contact cement might work.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard "Black Hole Patch" works but I haven't used it personally.

The Black hole patch

Folks use goop, I hear, though I've only used it on old boots, etc.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past, with my YJ, I've used duct tape, tent sealant, and even silicone. I wonder how RTV would do.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Iron on denim patch on the inside cut in circle so there r no corners that can be pulled up spray with tent water proofing then use black silicone on the outside just wet your finger to smooth it to finish
I used this method on my 2011 two months after I bought it when I hauled a kayak on top without putting any thing down it was still looking good when I sold it this spring
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, if you push the puncture out from inside, does it look like all torn areas kinda fit together? If so, I've used a product called Seam Grip by McNett. Just apply tape to the underside to act as a dam. Then clean the top side area with alcohol. Then apply an overlapping of the product with the supplied brush. If you need neatness, mask it with tape allowing a 1/8 or 1/4 inch overlap. Be sure to carefully remove the upper tape after 20 minutes. If you wait too long you'll have the tape permanently attached. The inside tape dam is a bit more difficult. If you try and peel it off too soon you'll pull the top material into the hole like before the repair. Using a material like duct tape or cloth tape on the inside will allow you to leave it there until fully cured. Then carefully trim it vs removing it. Take your time, it will be functional and waterproof, just not like new.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

didnt you get a little patch kit with the top? I got two pieces of the top frabric with mine but
no glue or anything to fix the patch. Mine was in with the top when we took it out of the box.
that was back in 08. maybe they figured that was to much to ask them for so they stopped it.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use some black silicone from the inside. Have a pinhole in fabric of t-top of my boat. Used silicone 2 yrs ago and it still holds.

Quick Reply: Pencil hole in top... How to fix?