Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pink Engine Coolant

Old 06-13-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pink Engine Coolant

So, I went to Auto Zone today to get some engine coolant because I noticed that my coolant is a little close to the "min" level. I also noticed that the coolant is a pink color which struck me as odd because I remembered the coolant in my Bronco being green. Anyway, I went into the store and asked the clerk if he had the pink Mopar/ equivalent coolant. He said that he didn't and that I'd probably have to get the coolant from my dealer otherwise I could have the coolant system purged and switch to a more conventional coolant like the green or orange stuff (technical terms, lol). I don't want to switch the type of coolant because I know how anal-retentive Chrysler and some dealers can be about people messing with the formula and then punishing them by revoking their warranties and it would be obvious to anyone if I changed the coolant because it's in a clear reservoir. Thus, I went on to the trusty Mopar website because I figured I could find the coolant there and have a whole bunch shipped directly to me, but I wasn't able to find it there. So, I sent a "please help me!" email to Mopar this afternoon and am waiting for a reply which I expect I'll get sometime this work-week, but, since I'm overly anxious, does anyone know the best place for me to find the Mopar/ equivalent coolant that meets the "HOAT" (or whatever) standards for the warranty?

PS- Chrysler/ Dealers please don't flag me! My Wrangler X still stock!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Super2
So, I went to Auto Zone today to get some engine coolant because I noticed that my coolant is a little close to the "min" level. I also noticed that the coolant is a pink color which struck me as odd because I remembered the coolant in my Bronco being green. Anyway, I went into the store and asked the clerk if he had the pink Mopar/ equivalent coolant. He said that he didn't and that I'd probably have to get the coolant from my dealer otherwise I could have the coolant system purged and switch to a more conventional coolant like the green or orange stuff (technical terms, lol). I don't want to switch the type of coolant because I know how anal-retentive Chrysler and some dealers can be about people messing with the formula and then punishing them by revoking their warranties and it would be obvious to anyone if I changed the coolant because it's in a clear reservoir. Thus, I went on to the trusty Mopar website because I figured I could find the coolant there and have a whole bunch shipped directly to me, but I wasn't able to find it there. So, I sent a "please help me!" email to Mopar this afternoon and am waiting for a reply which I expect I'll get sometime this work-week, but, since I'm overly anxious, does anyone know the best place for me to find the Mopar/ equivalent coolant that meets the "HOAT" (or whatever) standards for the warranty?

There are probably other sources for the correct type of coolant, but there will always be the question of compatibility.
The Auto Zone guy answered your question. Is there some reason you don't want to get the right stuff from the dealer?
The price isn't that much more, and you don't need it very often. I would think the peace of mind would be worth it.
I keep a bottle of it mixed 50/50 in my barn. Bought it two years ago. Had to top off only once.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-13-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Super2

BAHAHAHAHAHA this is what the Jeep forum has come to now... so sad. for all of us.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is your solution. The coolant you are looking at is 'reserve'. It allows for the cooling system to purge into it (not on the ground) and suck from if it gets low. That level in the 'reservoir' shouldn't really change after all the air has been purged from the sealed cooling system.

..top it off with distilled water and carry on.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Maybe the coolant cant be shipped because of haz mat reasons
Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chrysler uses the HOAT antifreeze. The only one I cound find commercially is Zerex G-05.
It's not the same color but it is the same antifreeze. I got mine at Napa for about $12.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Wow, I had not realized how complex the anti-freeze business had gotten.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/1272436
Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
Yep the Zerex G-05 is what you want. My local Autozone doesn't carry it but on my way to work I pass by a NAPA Warehouse that has a store attached.
O'Reilly's has it, too. You can check locally online here ...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/VLV0/ZXGO51.oap?pt=N0496&ppt=00000

So does Amazon.com, BTW.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you mayt not even need to top it off.. if it is near the MIN when the engine is cold that is perfectly normal....

as another post stated this is Reserve coolant.. coolant like other substances expands when it gets hot and contracts when it gets cold...

to keep your cooling system completely coolant and no air in it the reserve system is in place...

when the engine is hot and coolant expands, it will bubble out into that overflow plastic bottle... when the engine cools off it will pull it from that bottle back into the active cooling system....

-Christopher
Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't even think about the coolant expanding and I looked at it in the morning when the engine was completely cool, But, in response to the question about why I didn't want to necessarily go to my dealer for the coolant, it basically stemmed from the fact that I was told by the Auto Zone guy that it'd probably cost 3x more, though this may not be true, and going to Auto Zone saves me about 45 minutes round trip (short answer is that I'm apparently very lazy). That being said, I'll probably just get some from the dealer, especially since it likely doesn't need to be topped-off right now. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Pink Engine Coolant