Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Please help!!!!! Front end going bad?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be lengthy...

Take it from a guy who has had the worst round with his jeep and been through every diagnostic under the sun...
As for the pulling:
Make sure it's not actually in 4wd. Sounds stupid yes but it's the easiest thing to check. Jack up the front, chock the rear wheels and have someone cycle the steering back and forth. Look for anything unusual. Give the tires a good shake with your hands to see if a wheel bearing is out while you have it jacked up.
The whine you hear may be the transfer case or tires or front diff. Is it more prominent at a certain speed/rpm range? You said louder going down hill...is that because of increased speed? Get on a flat road, go up to around 40 and coast to a stop and just listen. The tires are probably the stop and start bumpiness and you will feel it in the steering and gas pedal. As for the whine, have your diff fluid checked. If you have a buddy with stock tires, throw those on and ride around to see if anything changes.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

hardtop... just as i thought.......
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kh202
As for the issues, "it's probably just your hardtop...." :p
It's ok then. "You don't need that" lol
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Silverback JK
This will be lengthy...

Take it from a guy who has had the worst round with his jeep and been through every diagnostic under the sun...
As for the pulling:
Make sure it's not actually in 4wd. Sounds stupid yes but it's the easiest thing to check. Jack up the front, chock the rear wheels and have someone cycle the steering back and forth. Look for anything unusual. Give the tires a good shake with your hands to see if a wheel bearing is out while you have it jacked up.
The whine you hear may be the transfer case or tires or front diff. Is it more prominent at a certain speed/rpm range? You said louder going down hill...is that because of increased speed? Get on a flat road, go up to around 40 and coast to a stop and just listen. The tires are probably the stop and start bumpiness and you will feel it in the steering and gas pedal. As for the whine, have your diff fluid checked. If you have a buddy with stock tires, throw those on and ride around to see if anything changes.
I don't think it's in 4wd. But not 100% sure. No light and and the TC shifter? Is in 2wd. But I will be jacking it up and checking. Yes I noticed last night more prominent around 50-55mph. No not because of going down hill surprisingly my speed doesn't accelerate that much going down hill? I was thinking the same thing about throwing some stock tires on. Gotta find someone. And gotta check my diff fluids.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Keep the posts going ... Subscribed...interested in the outcome
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Silverback JK
Keep the posts going ... Subscribed...interested in the outcome
Lol like wise.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Well. Jeep party this weekend. Working on my buddies new JKUR and mine. Gonna jack it up put stock tires on first see if that changes anything. Then changing diff fluids (front and rear) and tranny fluid. Also gonna see if maybe the front right side is stuck in 4wd? Hope this doesn't get expensive lol
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Well didnt do all the things I had planned. I changed to motor oil, threw my new wheels on(cragar soft 8s), cleaned some mud out of the calipers, and checked noticed one thing, which I don't know if its normal or not. With the JK on the lift while remounting the tires onto my new wheels I rotated my tires (which was kind of difficult) and noticed the opposite tire did not rotate in the opposite direction? Is this normal? It just sat there and did not spin.

Now the whining has seemed to go away and I havE narrowed the "bumpiness" when coming to a stop to my tires. I guess I will have to jack it up again and change the diff fluids.

Quick Reply: Please help!!!!! Front end going bad?