Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

POOR Keyless Entry Range Fixed!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GNNR
Hell, i get about 75 ft if I am lucky. How are you getting all that range? Are there any tweaks or fixes?
Replaced my faulty WCM module...and reprogrammed my keys and presto way better range.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer visit about poor key range

hey, I went to JEEP for the second time and like before they started telling me my key range sucks because Jeep changed to a shorter range because of terrorists using key fob's for detonators. I was shaking my head 'NO' as he proceeded and when he finally shut up I told him what TripleJeep_99 said in the last post about testing the WCM .........and -SHAZAM- they found a fault reading with the WCM and ordered one on warranty. thanks TripleJeep_99 for the advise I'll write back when the module gets changed out and hopefully corrects my problem too.

yea I posted this same message in a different thread.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Frozenman
hey, I went to JEEP for the second time and like before they started telling me my key range sucks because Jeep changed to a shorter range because of terrorists using key fob's for detonators. I was shaking my head 'NO' as he proceeded and when he finally shut up I told him what TripleJeep_99 said in the last post about testing the WCM .........and -SHAZAM- they found a fault reading with the WCM and ordered one on warranty. thanks TripleJeep_99 for the advise I'll write back when the module gets changed out and hopefully corrects my problem too.

yea I posted this same message in a different thread.
Great news...glad they did a test on your WCM!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, my range sucks too, 10ft tops if that really. Ill have to take it up there this week. They reprogrammed my keys once already and now one of the keys doesnt even work.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Deviant
Thanks for the info, my range sucks too, 10ft tops if that really. Ill have to take it up there this week. They reprogrammed my keys once already and now one of the keys doesnt even work.
That's what the forum is about helping other owners out!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well. The dealer I got the Jeep at looked at it and told me it's normal. I get about 15' range, tops.

I asked if they ran a diag on the WCM module and they said "We tested everything. It's working as intended."

Well... At least there is another dealership in town for my future warranty work.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use your skull.

try pointing the key fob upwards under you chin with your mouth open.. it extends the range. no joke!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default trick for the dealer

you said the dealer says it's normal.
Try this, grab keys for the new jeeps on the lot.
Start clicking 50 feet away!!!! While this works, watch them scratch their head while you say NOW THAT'S NORMAL

Funny thing - No Lie !! While they were looking at my JEEP - the front row on the lot were 7 new jeeps with the keys sitting on the front seats. Yes I did !! click click click Ha - then went back to service and struck up a good conversation.

End result we sure gotta do alot of tricks to get some attention
Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default fix update

Well, yesterday they changed the WCM and the condition got worse. So they were going to call chrysler tech. Today they called me back and said that Tech was aware of a WCM antenna malfunction and have came up with an upgrade fix for the problem. He said one is on the way and should do the trick. We'll see.
I'll post what happens when it happens.
At least they're working with me this time.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Frozenman
Well, yesterday they changed the WCM and the condition got worse. So they were going to call chrysler tech. Today they called me back and said that Tech was aware of a WCM antenna malfunction and have came up with an upgrade fix for the problem. He said one is on the way and should do the trick. We'll see.
I'll post what happens when it happens.
At least they're working with me this time.
I wonder if the replacement WCM had a fault as well???

Quick Reply: POOR Keyless Entry Range Fixed!