Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbird29
I have heard a tick on start up a few times but this morning I had a plume of blue smoke out the tailpipe on start up. 5K miles on a 2012
Time to talk to the service dept?
Will documenting it help further down the line if I do have a problem or it gets worse?
I spoke with my dealer about this issue. Was told they replace left head no questions asked. Mine has only 1200. Will keep an eye on it
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dbird29
I have heard a tick on start up a few times but this morning I had a plume of blue smoke out the tailpipe on start up. 5K miles on a 2012
Time to talk to the service dept?
Will documenting it help further down the line if I do have a problem or it gets worse?
I am on my second JK and both have had that tic at start up. as if no oil is circulating in the upper head of the engine. after a few seconds it goes away. My 08 did that every day for 60000 miles with no problem. I have read the same complaint in several threads and recall most people saying it is pretty common. A search will show other posts on the topic.

It is now happening on my 2012 at 1800 miles. Doesnt make sense as this is a whole new engine with a completely new design.

need to start the documentation with dealer If you are getting smoke. Thats definitely oil getting past seals somewhere. I am starting with my dealer this week.

We also have to make sure our oil is topped off and changed per specs with proof! I would also not do any engine mods as that could be an excuse for the dealers to refuse a warranty repair claim.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default update on my nightmare

2012 JKU, build date November. Noticed the ticking noise around 7500 miles, wasn't too bad, figured I'd mention it the next time I was in for oil change. Friday May 25 (memorial day weekend) the CEL comes on while I'm on my way home from work. Stop by dealer, they tell me to bring it in Tuesday after the holiday weekend. Do some research online over the weekend, takes me 15 minutes or so to learn about the head issue. Take the car in Tuesday 5/29, mention the tippy-tap in addition to the CEL and all they do is flash the ECM. When I tell them I don't understand how a SW update can possibly fix a mechanical issue, I'm told it's the first-step debug procedure Chrysler dictates, "drive it a week or so and see what you think".

So I drive the Jeep for a week, call the dealer to tell them the tap is just as bad as ever (surprise, surprise!) and the service advisor says, "OK, sorry, bring it on Monday and this time we'll make sure it gets fixed right". In the meantime, I've listened VERY carefully to my engine noise with the hood up and actually put my hand on left and right side cylinder heads to verify that there is a metal-on-metal contact on the left-hand (drivers side) cylinder head causing my tapping noise.

June 11 the Jeep is back to the shop. 3 days later I check in to see what's going on and I'm told they're waiting for a tool they need to perform compression check. WTF? an authorized dealers servcie department isn't equipped to perform a basic compression test? Trying to keep the story to a reasonable length - after the dealer has my Jeep for about 10 days they finally determine that, yes, it needs cylinder head replacement. Remember, it took me maybe an hour with no special training and no diagnostic tools other than using the internet and my ears and hands to determine there was big trouble in my cylinder head. The kicker? Cylinder heads are back ordered and ETA is a month away.

Couple calls to Chrysler customer hotline gets the head delivered in a couple days, then it's another couple days for the dealer to install and I finally get my baby back July 3rd. Hooray - I can pop the top and enjoy the holiday weekend! WRONG! Drive the car the next morning, strong smell from the engine compartment which smells like fresh paint heating up - no big deal, right? Wrong again! Daughter gets in the car with me and says the odor smells like gasoline. Drive her to her friends house and on the way home I notice the gas gauge has dropped more than it should have in the 10 or 15 miles that I've driven the car. When I get home I look underneath the vehicle and sure enough there's steady gasoline drip from underneath the engine. Neighbor remarks that it might be a good idea to move the car someplace away from the house if its leaking fuel and by the time I move it (maybe 100 yards) the fuel is pouring out from under the engine.

Next morning (7/5) I call the dealer to send a tow truck to pick up the Jeep. They eventually call me late in the day to tell me there's a cracked fuel rail and they haven't been able to get into the computer to order one so they don't know how long it will take to repair. Today is Monday 7/9 and I'm still without my Jeep.

A month ago I loved my Jeep; now it's a friggin nightmare.

Last edited by sr31aj; 07-09-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

That is a nightmare! I'm sooo sorry that you're going through this with your JK. Thank you for keeping everyone posted on your experience. Don't you qualify for lemon at this point?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

1/12 build date. I have 2200 miles on it and no ticking yet. Knock on wood. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick
That is a nightmare! I'm sooo sorry that you're going through this with your JK. Thank you for keeping everyone posted on your experience. Don't you qualify for lemon at this point?
Thanks for commiserating with me. Yes, I am working the lemon law, problem is my summer's slip sliding away - and I was so looking forward to some topless time. Also, even after they return my Jeep to me, in the time it takes to get any lemon law resolution I'm stuck with what, to me, is now an unreliable vehicle. Got a favorite cousin's wedding coming up in two weeks that's about a 4-hour drive for me. I was looking forward to a fun summer road trip, now I'm seriously thinkng of renting something for the trip so that I have the peace of mind of getting there and back without issues.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sr31aj
Thanks for commiserating with me. Yes, I am working the lemon law, problem is my summer's slip sliding away - and I was so looking forward to some topless time. Also, even after they return my Jeep to me, in the time it takes to get any lemon law resolution I'm stuck with what, to me, is now an unreliable vehicle. Got a favorite cousin's wedding coming up in two weeks that's about a 4-hour drive for me. I was looking forward to a fun summer road trip, now I'm seriously thinkng of renting something for the trip so that I have the peace of mind of getting there and back without issues.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Several years ago, I had planned a trip to see a concert with my Mom and a girlfriend. I'm a stay-at-home Mom, so those kind of trips are few and far between. One of the most important parts of the trip for me was to drive my '09 JKU. Well, the night before the trip, my trackbar bracket started to tear. That meant no JK to drive and I was seriously dissappointed. My husband called in a favor and had a buddy weld it in the middle of the night.

I understand your disappointment. Guess this will go down as the "Lost JK Summer".
Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default the ticking @ 1000 miles

So after reading through this thread I started paying more attention to the noise the motor was making. I had a Lexus that did the same thing, and apparently it really was supposed to tick. I guess I wrote this ticking off as a new motor quirk. Anyway, I hit youtube and I am fairly confident that I do have the dreaded ticking at only 1000 miles. I have not had a check engine light and have not really noticed any performance changes. I just reset the MPG calculator to see if there is a decrease. The JKU has a build date of last month. I went by the dealer service and they are booked until the 17th. I'm really not sure what to expect them to do at this point just because of a tick. But at least it will be documented early on.

I'm going to try and get a video uploaded to youtube so I can maybe get some input from those that are experiencing this...

Hope everyone get this resolved easily.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default link to the ticking video

Just posted a video of the ticking... your thoughts?

IMG 0130 - YouTube
Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jamantste
Just posted a video of the ticking... your thoughts?

IMG 0130 - YouTube
Check mine out; http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m...vnqjupMs&gl=US

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines