Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 07-09-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The drivers side of my 12 JKU is ticking with 9k miles, but honestly it's not any louder than my 2011. I spoke with the service supervisor at the dealership and was told to wait till it throws a code and they would replace it no matter what mods I have done as long as there hasn't been any engine mods.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rtguy1

yours sounds about like this

2012 Jeep Wrangler Pentastar tick resolved - YouTube

here's the real tick sound...notice the comparison done between right and left..its obvious

2012 JKU tick under hood - YouTube

you can relax now and go on enjoying your Jeep...congrats
Yup, definitely over reacted! Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I gotta tell ya -
Every video I see with the ticking sound seems like a normal characteristic of this engine to me. I mean - even my 1993 YJ with the 4.0 6 cylinder sounded like a sewing machine. This ticking concern is over rated to me. Has any professional mechanic indicated that it is a problem that needs to be corrected before something breaks? Come on

Originally Posted by rtguy1
yours sounds about like this

2012 Jeep Wrangler Pentastar tick resolved - YouTube

here's the real tick sound...notice the comparison done between right and left..its obvious

2012 JKU tick under hood - YouTube

you can relax now and go on enjoying your Jeep...congrats
Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr31aj

Couple calls to Chrysler customer hotline gets the head delivered in a couple days, then it's another couple days for the dealer to install and I finally get my baby back July 3rd. Hooray - I can pop the top and enjoy the holiday weekend! WRONG! Drive the car the next morning, strong smell from the engine compartment which smells like fresh paint heating up - no big deal, right? Wrong again! Daughter gets in the car with me and says the odor smells like gasoline. Drive her to her friends house and on the way home I notice the gas gauge has dropped more than it should have in the 10 or 15 miles that I've driven the car. When I get home I look underneath the vehicle and sure enough there's steady gasoline drip from underneath the engine. Neighbor remarks that it might be a good idea to move the car someplace away from the house if its leaking fuel and by the time I move it (maybe 100 yards) the fuel is pouring out from under the engine.

Next morning (7/5) I call the dealer to send a tow truck to pick up the Jeep. They eventually call me late in the day to tell me there's a cracked fuel rail and they haven't been able to get into the computer to order one so they don't know how long it will take to repair. Today is Monday 7/9 and I'm still without my Jeep.

A month ago I loved my Jeep; now it's a friggin nightmare.
There was a post, I think in another forum, about a probably similar thing happening after a head replacement... only his caught on fire and destroyed the Jeep. Maybe that would have been better (assuming everyone is ok of course), haha. Hope it all gets worked out.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lanslide
I gotta tell ya -
Every video I see with the ticking sound seems like a normal characteristic of this engine to me. I mean - even my 1993 YJ with the 4.0 6 cylinder sounded like a sewing machine. This ticking concern is over rated to me. Has any professional mechanic indicated that it is a problem that needs to be corrected before something breaks? Come on
the first video link i posted is not a normal characteristic of the engine...it is an issue. the video shows the difference between left and right and needs to be corrected. the engine has low compression in that cylinder as well once this occurs. there have been bent valves reported from this issue. also, i like using all 6 cylinders to power my JK, not 5. get your ears checked if you don't hear a major difference in that video
Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

guys - go back and read my "update to my nightmare" post #477. If you can't figure out from the noise whether you have an issue or not, or if you can't be sure whether the noise is originating in cylinder head or somewhere else, put your hand on the cylinder head. The feel of bare metal hitting metal is pretty unique - and the feel of the left-side cylinder head will definitely be different from the feel of the right-side cylinder head - IF you're having the issue we've been talking about here. No need for any tools, no need to video and review, you don't need to rev the engine, just touch the sucker and you'll know something's wrong.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jamantste
Just posted a video of the ticking... your thoughts?

IMG 0130 - YouTube
Yours is definitely got the ticking, it will get louder over time, mine was the same, had head replaced at 10,400 miles, started the complaining at 7500 miles and had to play the game for 3000, PCM flash, lifters, then finally left cylinder head
Now I notice the passenger side is noisier than the new left cylinder, but did get back my power and mpg after the replacement; still have 88,000 miles of warranty left
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Anyone else got a BAD sparknock on the road in a pull??

I have had my 12 Wrangler for several months (over 12K miles) build date 08/11. I have had all the same symptoms as everyone else here. But for about the last 4000 miles or so I have had a terrible rattling from the engine when in a pull, especially if my trailer and lawn mower are behind it. I do have the Max Towing package by the way and my trailer and John deere only weigh just over 2000 LB. It has become embarassing when someone is with me it sounds like the engine is flying apart.
I am curious if anyone has had this happen to them.....

btw: my 2008 was a great, trouble free Jeep!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vulcan classic

Yours is definitely got the ticking, it will get louder over time, mine was the same, had head replaced at 10,400 miles, started the complaining at 7500 miles and had to play the game for 3000, PCM flash, lifters, then finally left cylinder head
Now I notice the passenger side is noisier than the new left cylinder, but did get back my power and mpg after the replacement; still have 88,000 miles of warranty left
I guess I will go ahead and follow through with the appointment just to see what they have to say... Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

I bough a 12 JKU. After 9k miles sounded like it had a exhaust leak. Took it in to get the oil changed and told them to check it. Had a head restriction. When they tore it down the lifter had went bad and wallered out the head. The replaced the heads lifters and cam I paid for the oil change told me it was good. After about a mile the etc light and engine light came on and it started claddering. I took it back and it had a 2 cam codes , tran controller code, they replaced that and said it was good. I pick it up still claddering asked them about it they said it was fuel knock. We went about a mile same lights cam back on. Talked two a lawyer and threaten to file lemon law. They tore it back down and the oil galley plugs wear missing from the heads said jeep did not send them with the heads. That fixed the dash lights and my so called fuel nock. Love my jeep hate the gregg orr dealership. Want buy from them again. Took 2 months total.

Last edited by Toes; 07-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines