Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Purpose of manual shift with automatic transmission

Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the auto stick (lack of a better term) and the Hill Desent Control going down steep hills and ledges works quite well....
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this in my 13, my only complaint is it will shift down for you as well. So if you stop at a light after having it in manual mode say from 4th it will go down to 1st, i think its just that i forget untill my jeep hits about 4,000RPMs lol.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Aside from revving too high are there any drawbacks to driving the jeep in the semi auto mode like that?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkbait98
I love this in my 13, my only complaint is it will shift down for you as well. So if you stop at a light after having it in manual mode say from 4th it will go down to 1st, i think its just that i forget untill my jeep hits about 4,000RPMs lol.
I hated this too at first but now that I am used to it I no longer forget to upshift. Very first time was with about 120 miles on the jeep entering traffic from stopped not realizing it was not going to upshift for me. Nothing like hitting about 4500 rpms on a new engine.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you want to pass on the highway- floor it then drop a gear.
When you want to accelerate in a turn -drop a gear.

This tech came from Formula 1 racing. The kind of races where the chassis is stressed to its limits: acceleration; braking; both left & right cornering. The only races where NASCAR is a true race is at venues like Sears Point. My opinion.

If Jeep ever places steering wheel paddle shifters instead of a floor mounted auto-stick, then Jeep has lost its way. Thankfully I highly doubt Jeep and the Skunkworks will ever do that.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So using this does not mess around with your transmission at all? Just off the gas and up shift?
The following users liked this post:
FrickrFrackr (01-10-2024)
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dauber1424
So using this does not mess around with your transmission at all? Just off the gas and up shift?
Don't even have to modulate the pedal. Just keep the foot in it and flick away. Within reason of course. Don't redline and drop two gears. The computer will cancel your input to save its life.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default Disabling?

Hey all. Not to dig up a old, dead thread, but somebody asked the question about disabling this function, but I don't think anyone answered if it was possible or not. I have had multiple situations where my kids have bumped the shift while driving, which makes things very exciting, bc pulling towards the driver puts it in 1st. I would love nothing more than to be able to find a way to disable this temporarily, and be able to re-enable it when need ed.

Quick Reply: Purpose of manual shift with automatic transmission