Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

rattle when pressing in the clutch pedal at rmps above 3500

Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rattle when pressing in the clutch pedal at rmps above 3500

so any time i push in the clutch pedal when the rpms are above 3500 or so there is a horrible rattle until the rpms drop i've had the clutch replaced and the pilot bearing replaced twice under warranty. any ideas whats goin on now?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

really no one has any ideas?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heat shield? trying to think of what would cause a rattle at a specific dropping RPM... vibration maybe. Can you be certain of the location of the sound? It's coming from the tranny tunnel? Try pulling your carpet and drain plugs and go for a ride to isolate the noise. Maybe it aint the clutch.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

i can feel the rattle in the clutch pedal. almost sounds and feels like the clutch disk or assembly is wobbling cause its loose or something
Old 07-10-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Well there's no hardened connection between the pedal and the clutch as the JK has a hydraulic clutch.... I wonder if you wouldn't feel a vibrating exhaust heat shield through the floorboard, which the pedal IS attached to...

confirm that it rattles when you just let off the gas? Or fer certain isolated to the clutch being depressed regardless of RPM?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Freak

Nice reply.

I obviously don't know sh*t just tryin to help a brotha out
Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ngataki
At this higher RPM the clutch release combined with the delay you have in engine RPM throttle down (EFI related) will allow the clutch plate/disk to hit the flywheel/pressure plate whilst the disk (splined to the put shaft) will turn at a much lower speed after clutching.. This will create a radial pulsation and a wobble as well in some cases. This combination will allow the damper springs and the clutch plate to "rattle". In theory this should not happen, but a small pinching of the clutch plate/disk inner spline onto the input shaft will set this condition up..(I have seen a lot of poorly finished input shaft splines..mainly small nicks from rough handling prior to heat treat)

Ask them next time to wet hone by hand the input shaft spline to assure no burrs and/or nicks are existing.. Have a fresh clutch disk with "tight" damper springs..and let's hope the flexplate is not having a "wobble" itself..(facial runout)

Sorry for the somewhat detailed reply.. consider it "background music"
this makes a lot of sence thanks. so i just got home and was hearing a weird noise from the tranny so with the jeep running i got out and was looking under the jeep at the tranny while reaching my arm up and pushing in the clutch pedal. well when i barely pushed the clutch pedal in there was a grinding/ticking sound. dont know quite how to desribe it. and also noticed there is now oil leaking from the damn thing guess I'll be taking it back to the stupid stealership for the hundredth time. I've attached a pic of the oil leak so much for wheelin tomarrow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	oil leak.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	26806  

Last edited by Chris333; 07-10-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Ngataki I guess I'll be taking it back to the dealer. Thank god I still have a warranty
Old 07-11-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oil leak can be from the engine rear crankshaft oil seal, the input shaft oil seal... or the slave clutch cylinder.. I believe the latter might be the first possibility seen the issue with the clutch release bearing

The oil does seem like brake fluid and i have had to put brake fluid in the master cylinder recently because it was low and the clutch pedal felt like it was gone till i put more brake fluid in. so this makes perfect sence
Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

droppin the heep off at the dealer tonight we'll see what they say it is and how long they are got take to fix it im sure i wont see my heep for at least a week

Quick Reply: rattle when pressing in the clutch pedal at rmps above 3500