Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear axle won't unlock???

Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I'd be surprised if mismanagement of the switches is the cause of the OP's problem.
He says the rear stays locked no matter what range the t-case is in.
Axle lock will disengage if the vehicle is taken out of 4L
(Low) range, or the ignition switch is turned to the OFF
position.
Exactly, this isn't operator error.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Well, that's what the warranty if for.
I wouldn't consider pulling the fill plug to be "tearing the differential apart", though.
Ronjex,
Guess I read that wrong and assumed it meant I had to pull it apart. So I can get to the lock plate w/o pulling completely taking it apart?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by H8MUD
When you disconnect the battery, briefly touch the positive and negative.
Can you explain???? Thought you were messing with me.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lachoy731
Ronjex,
Guess I read that wrong and assumed it meant I had to pull it apart. So I can get to the lock plate w/o pulling completely taking it apart?
The picture shows the cover off so you can clearly see the thin plate that needs prying over.
All you have to remove to do it is the fill plug. (Remember to put it back in, too.) Don't worry if some oil comes out. They are usually overfilled from the factory.

If you can make it to the dealer without making sharp turns, and it's not too far, don't worry about unlocking the axle.
My recommendation is to unlock it if the prying works, then have the dealer lock it when you get there, and have them try to unlock it with the switch.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-23-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

The battery tip that guy is giving you is legit though I'm not sure it's gonna solve your problem if letting it sit disconnected for a few mins didn't. I would do the manual disengage as recommended by ronjenx, won't take 10 mins to pop the plug out and slide a screw driver in and put the plug back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

The picture shows the cover off so you can clearly see the thin plate that needs prying over.
All you have to remove to do it is the fill plug. (Remenber to put it back in, too.) Don't worry if some oil comes out. They are usually overfilled from the factory.

If you can make it to the dealer without making sharp turns, and it's not too far, don't worry about unlocking the axle.
My recommendation is to unlock it if the prying works, then have the dealer lock it when you get there, and have them try to unlock it with the switch.
So the dealer needs to keep it for a day to work it, problem is I can't do that until Monday, axle is still locked. Are there any potential issues if I go in and try to pry it as you said? I am kinda iffy about it but am really not stoked on having to drive it for 5 days like this... Thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

So the dealer needs to keep it for a day to work it, problem is I can't do that until Monday, axle is still locked. Are there any potential issues if I go in and try to pry it as you said? I am kinda iffy about it but am really not stoked on having to drive it for 5 days like this... Thanks for the help.
I would jack a tire off the ground and have someone spin it back and forth while you try to pry the plate to unlock it. Don't pry hard enough to bend the plate. It should move fairly easily. You can try it without jacking a tire, but with one tire off the ground you are guaranteed to have no load on the locker.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-21-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Update. So the dealer said it was a sensor and switch. So I picked it up today , dealer closed, drive away and still feels chirpy and jarring in tight turns, it's no where near as bad as it was but it's still doing it. Anyone think It may be my tires getting back from the locked axle? How can I tell if it is still locked, jacked one side and try to spin? Is it possible for it to be "a little locked"??
Old 05-04-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Oh and the shop said it was fixed.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Can you explain???? Thought you were messing with me.
With all our computerized cars, trucks, and jeeps; tin is a good try on all things electronic. Capacitors and chips store things and a pos and neg cross is good at clearing them out and call it a hard reset. Like taking the battery out of you cell phone etc... Won't hurt anything, just don't have the battery hooked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Rear axle won't unlock???